Ep. 2 The Masquerade Part 4

(Karlea's Pov)

     I noticed that more vampires were coming out at us. I did my best to stand in front of my friends. I remembered the light ball that Allison created, so I thought that maybe I could create that too. I worked on concentrating on making a light ball. I looked up after I made one and I saw ghosts flying around. I threw up the light ball and some vampires backed up. Joey started to push me behind him. "Joey, get behind me. I am not letting you get hurt anymore. Please." 

     "Mother please these are my friends. Dad died in the right way, so you have to respect vampire law. A life for a life." Allison comes out and gets her mom the Vampire Queen to let us decide what to do. "I know that you have gone through this before Karlea, but for everyone else. Please set up one at a time and decide who you want to vote for. I will draw three names. The first two will run the course for the golden goblet and the third will have to spectate the loser's death, but the spectator will be able to give up their lives to save their friends. It is simply three go in and two come back out. You may decide amongst yourselves who will go in." Allison tells us.

Karlea: I am hoping that my name does not get called, but I think that everyone might just put me in. If I spectate and Joey competes and loses then I will give up my life. I may have bought my friends here but I helped by being bait.

Lauren: I feel as though my name might be called, but honestly Destorm should be put in because he was so suspicious. 

      Everyone split off into groups, I would have followed but I know that even though I don't want to, I need to make sure I spectate. "Allison, can you do something for me? Please just put a card aside for the spectate. I want to spectate, so no one else has to." Allison took a card that had a picture of me and placed it to the side. I know that I will have to watch someone die. 

      Joey came up to me and just placed an arm around my waist. "Karlea come on and sit down. I think that we should vote for Lauren or Destorm." I was first up to vote so I put Destorm's card down. I then went to sit back down. I have a feeling that Joey voted for Lauren. Once everyone voted Allison shuffled the cards, my heart dropped to the back of my throat. Lauren was called and so was Destorm. I knew that my name was next, I gave Joey a kiss and squeezed his hand to reassure him I would be back. 

     "Karlea, Lauren, Destorm please come with me," Allison told us. Wylo also came and I felt safer especially if I need to be near the Queen. We walk into the ballroom and there is a dragon in the middle. I know it is a stone dragon, but I hope that it does not come to life. Vampires are enough for me. I walked next to Wylo. 

"Each one of you must unravel three clues to find the location of the golden goblet. Take your starting place and don't take too long! Or else we may have to kill all of you. " The queen tells us, she pats the stage and I know that she wants me to sit down. I went to sit down but before I can I notice a coin on the ground. I go sit and on the coin is a picture of a heart, a dagger, and a shield. I motioned to Wylo to see if he knew what the coin was. "Wylo, I found a coin, do you have any idea of the meaning of this."

"You'll find silver in the middle of three celestial points." I heard the first clue and I notice that Lauren was not able to find the third star. Destorm found a star and then I heard Lauren scream. I stood up to see but a vampire put a hand on my shoulders and pushed me back down. I only knew of one thing that could make Lauren scream and that had to be snakes. I coughed up more blood and I saw a flashback from my past. (Flashback to 10-year-old Karlea- "Daddy help, please. I got bit by a snake on my arm. It hurts."  My father took me to a hospital and they said that the snake had some venom in it. The venom got into my blood, but I would be fine. The venom only had a tiny bit of poison. They put a bandage on my arm and my father kissed it better." )

   I saw that Destorm had gotten a coffin unlocked and Lauren was still working on hers. A vampire held up a clue. "Take my sword and slay the dragon that stole my life." Destorm read aloud. He then took the sword and slayed the dragon. He got the last clue and gave the clue to the queen. She pulled out the golden goblet and I knew Lauren was dead. 

     "Finally now can we please kill the other one. Stefan, hold this girl's head straight ahead so she can watch." The queen told everyone. A male vampire came over to me and held on to my neck and chin. The other vampires ran toward Lauren and she ran, but the vampires caught her. I closed my eyes because I could not bear the sound of Lauren's screams and her death. I heard Destorm telling them to kill her. After all the vampires had dispersed from Lauren's limp body, I ran over and just sat there for a minute with her head on my lap. My tears fell onto her cheek. 

     "I am so sorry Lauren, I did not want any of this to happen to you. You were one of my best friends. I could have saved you.  I am so sorry." I stood up and just ran to the hallway. I knew that Alex would be heartbroken. Destorm, Wylo, and Allison went on ahead in, so I could collect myself. I looked up and saw ghost fly around again, but among the ghost was a fox that had a purple hue to it. I ignored that and walked into the lounge. 

      I just continued to look at the ground as I walked over to a couch. Alex was on one end of the couch and Joey was on the other end. I looked up at Alex, and my heart just broke at the sight. I saw anger but also sadness. "Alex, I am so sorry. I should have done something, but it was too late." Alex just looked at me and pulled me into a hug. After that, I just laid my head on Joey's shoulder. Joey wrapped his arms around my waist and just rubbed my back. Allison pulled out the gem map and I knew that this was going to be a long night.

To be continued...