The Night Before •Loki•

My mother was the last to exit my chamber that evening, threatening all manner of consequences if I didn't lay down and sleep. "You must look perfect, Sigyn!" were her parting words. I closed the door behind her and sighed with relief. My chamber was finally quiet. In the corner, my gown hung straight and sparkling. On my table, jewelry was laid out, for final selection in the morning. Several pairs of shoes, tried and discarded, were piled in the corner by one of the maids. I'd have to speak to her about her laziness later.

I wrapped my robe about me and headed over to my windowseat. Pushing open the shutters, I breathed in the scent of Asgard's springtime. I had no intention of sleeping tonight; I was too nervous. My stomach was in knots, and my hands were shaking.

Tomorrow I was marrying my one love, the man who filled my heart to bursting. That wasn't what had me nervous. What frightened me was that he was Loki, a prince of Asgard. Which would make me... a princess. And that was a simply terrifying thought, one which I hadn't let sink in until now. I didn't know if I'd make a good princess. At least Thor was the one in line for the throne, so I didn't have to think about becoming queen. That was one small consolation.

I curled up in my seat and leaned against the wooden frame, gazing up at the stars.

"My love, if you catch your death of cold or fall out that window, I shall be very cross with you."

I gasped and nearly did fall off the seat. Turning, I saw - "Loki!"

He grinned at my surprise. "Who else would be here at this time of night?"

"No one, of course," I laughed, running to him. I jumped up into his arms, my legs wrapped around his waist, and buried my face in his shoulder.

He spun me around and then set me down gently. "Shouldn't you be sleeping?"

"If you thought I was sleeping, then why are you here?"

"Fair point," he acknowledged with another grin. "I knew you would still be awake."

"You should not be here at all," I challenged.

"Hush," he said softly, and leaned down to kiss me. He kissed me deeply, sliding his hands down my waist to my hips. He was still warm from being in the sun all day, and smelled of leather and horses.

Finally the need to breathe took over, and we broke apart. Suddenly all of my anxiety struck me again, and I blinked back tears.

"Sigyn?" Loki asked worriedly. "My darling, what's wrong?" He rubbed his thumb on my cheek, but that only made the tears come faster. He scooped me up in his arms and carried me back to the windowseat, setting my down gently and kneeling in front of me.

"I - I'm so sorry," I sobbed. "This is ridiculous." I hiccuped, which made him smile a bit.

"Don't apologize. Just please tell me what is the matter, so I can put it to rights." He still looked so concerned.

"I'm nervous, Loki. I have no idea how to be a princess, and I don't know if I can make anybody happy. I'm scared I will fail miserably, and let you down."

He was quiet a moment while I sniffled, holding both of my hands in his. "Sigyn." His voice was soft. "Look at me."

I looked up. His emerald eyes were full of love, and sorrow at seeing me cry.

"You could never, ever, let me down. Do you love me?"

I was taken aback. "Of course!"

"Do you want to spend the rest of your life by my side?"

"Yes, forever," I answered.

"That is all I ask of you, so how could you fail me? And as for the people" - he reached up and smoothed my hair away from my face - "they adore you. You have nothing to fear." He wiped away my tears and kissed both my cheeks. "Now," he said lightly, "better?"

I threw my arms around my neck and he stood, lifting me up with him. I didn't answer in words, just tiptoed to kiss him with all my heart.

He responded enthusiastically, one hand in my hair and one at my waist. Slowly, he walked me over to the wall and pressed my back against it, his hips pinning me.

It seemed like years passed before we stopped again, panting for air, noses touching. "I should go," he murmured. "I want to treat you as a gentleman, and this... this is dangerous. I want you, Sigyn."

I pushed him away gently. "Go, then. We can continue this discussion tomorrow. When we are wed."

Loki kissed me once more, then walked silently towards the door. He paused with his hand on the knob, and turned to look at me. "You'll be alright?"

"Yes," I smiled. "I will now."