➵ 2 - Beware of the Mermaids

Oh my gosh! My brother and some stranger just jumped out of a freaking window! The first thing I do is run towards the window and surprisingly, now that 'Peter Pan' is gone, I'm able to

Oh my gosh! My brother and some stranger just jumped out of a freaking window! The first thing I do is run towards the window and surprisingly, now that 'Peter Pan' is gone, I'm able to. I check to see if they hit the ground and when looking down, there isn't anything there. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion. Where are they?

And when I look up I see where they are, I see my brother in 'Peter's' arms, trying not to fall. He struggles at first but he eventually gets the hang of flying. Flying.

I run downstairs because the elevator is at the end of the long corridor and I don't feel like going to it. When I make it downstairs, after what feels like an eternity, I shouted for help, "Libby!"

When I don't get a response, I yell again, "Libby! Liberty McDormand!"

Finally, she walks towards me, rubbing her eyes. How is she tired at eight o clock, I wonder. But then I remember the mountain of dishes we had to wash. She must've finished them without me because of what happened with Lucas. She squints, annoyed and still in her uniform. Her hair is a disheveled mess and her untied tie hangs loosely around her neck.

"What. Do. You. Need?" She grumbles, frowning. I tried explaining the situation and I had to do so twice because the first time I was so panicked I babbled instead.

"Amira, such a thing is impossible. You realize that right?" she pauses to yawn and rubs her eyes, "I mean, Peter Pan isn't real. He's just some made up guy from a fairytale."

I'm the one to narrow my eyes this time, "I know what I saw!" I shout, "Come, I'll show you!" I grab her arm and fortunately, she's too tired to object. We run upstairs as quickly as possible to my bedroom and I vaguely wonder where my roommate is.

"Amira. . ." her voice trails off and turns into a yawn. I pull her to the window. I can see my brother and that creep clearly in the night sky. They were so high up, it seemed like they could touch the moon. Unfortunately, the traffic and the birds were noisy in New York tonight so Libby, as tired as she was, thought they were birds. Suddenly, when they were extremely far away in the sky a ripple opened up in the sky, emitting a bright green light. They flew through the ripple and they were gone.

"No. No, no, no, no! They can't be gone!" I exclaim, as beads of sweat form on my forehead. My frustrations are based on the fact that I can't think of a way out of this predicament but for some reason, Libby's nonchalant attitude also annoys me. Maybe I'm tired, maybe I'm angry.

No, I'm both.

I plop onto my bed and almost narrowly miss it. I sigh, "How will I get to him?" At that moment, the room gets darker and the lamp's light seems brighter.

"Can I go to sleep now?" Libby mutters, prompting me to kick her. Ow, she mutters. That ought to wake her up.

Large pieces of wood slowly block the window and move upwards almost as if it's--I don't know, I've never actually seen anything like this before. When almost all of the wood finally moves from my sight, I see that a long rope is dangling under it and I get an insane idea. My feet slowly make their way towards the window. My legs feel like jelly because this the most terrifying thing I've ever done in my life. Reaching out my arm, I grab on to the rope, it's gritty texture burns my fingers. I call out to Libby to alert her of my departure. Now, she objects.