Chapter 19 | Walk with Me

Start from the beginning

The room got louder as he finished the N in his last name. He looked up and smiled at the camera. These pictures were going to be all over the news. Everyone wanted to know where the son of Mr. and Mrs. Logan would be attending college. At least there were people that cared for him because of his ability to throw the ball and not because of who his parents were.

Zac switched his gaze from the camera to Hailey. She had her own phone out. Her tears seemed to have stopped. He could see the torn emotions within her. She was proud of him, but he knew she wanted him to stay as much as he wanted to. But, they both needed this. She was right. He might regret giving this chance up.

"Next we have Evan Green. Evan was a starter on the football team as well for three years. He excels in the classroom as well as on the field. He will be attending the prestigious Princeton University. He will be continuing his athletic career as well as earning a degree in English. Congrats Evan on becoming a Tiger." The announcer said. Zac watched as his best friend signed the paper. He looked weird in orange. He chuckled to himself.

The announcer continued on with some of the football players and then went to some of the cheerleaders. Sasha, surprisingly, was amongst the crowd. She was signing to Oregon to become a Duck. Zac was glad to see she'd be moving far away from him. She was still crazy and in love with him. The threat about her sister ha definitely kept her away.

The announcer then began to say all the basketball players. Jordan was also there. He was signing to the University of Arizona. There he would be playing as a Wildcat. At least he wouldn't be near Hailey. She didn't need that kind of negativity in her life. The next group of athletes were the soccer players.

"Next we have the girls soccer team captain for two years, Mariah Carter. She has a 3.8 GPA and will be attending NYU for psychology. She will be continuing with soccer as well. Congratulations Ms. Carter." The announcer said. She gave the camera a bright smile as she signed. She was all decked out in the purple colors. She had blabbed about the the colors at lunch the day before.

Soon, all the athletes had signed. The only ones missing had been the spring sports since they were just beginning. They took even more pictures and talked to their college coaches. The Spartan coach was more than ecstatic to know Zac would be attending their school. He reminded him of all their big wins and how he would help achieve the Big 10 Championship. Zac chuckled to himself, only dreaming of that.

"Oh Zachary, I cannot believe you'll be living on your own in a different state." His mom said as she pulled him into a hug. She squeezed him tight, threatening to end his oxygen supply. He began to squirm out of her hold.

"Mom." He said in a very pained voice. "I can't breathe."

"Oh, sorry. I just have so many emotions on this day." His mom said letting go. He took in a big breath of air, trying to calm his lungs down. His heart had been racing and not like the way when he sees Hailey.

"I know mom. I feel the same way too." He told her. He turned and saw Hailey trying to weave her way through the crowd. His heart began to race again as she walked over. His grin was extended as she smile back at him. "Hi baby."

"Hey Zac." She said softly. Hailey felt a boatload of emotions as she saw Zac sign. She wanted him to stay with her, but going to his dream school was what he needed. He needed to have fun and live the life he's always dreamed of. She would still be there in the end. She would never be able to forget Zac Logan, even if she tried.

"Mom, I want you to meet my gorgeous girlfriend, Hailey Foster." He said. His mom's eyes traveled the length of Hailey. She was wearing a pair of ripped jeans with a Spartan shirt. She paired it all with some Vans and a black Nike jacket. Her hair was down in waves.