Chapter 14 | You Belong with Me

The crowd roared as Nate caught the ball Zac had thrown. Zac smirked. They were one kick away from winning it all. He jogged off the field, ripping his helmet off. He looked up at the stands and saw the girls. They were jumping with excitement. Huge grins on their faces. He focused on one in particular. The one that made his heart race.

Hailey screamed as Nate ran to make a touchdown. When they scored, her and the girls found themselves jumping up and down. She didn't even care how ridiculous she looked. She looked out onto the field and saw Zac looking at her. He was smiling at her, making her stomach do flips.

Her and Zac managed to steer clear of each other for the last week. It was driving her insane. They'd only talk when their friends were near. She wasn't sure she'd be able to control herself around him. All she could think of was kissing the life out of him.

Being away from Zac, only made her spend time with Jordan. He wasn't that bad, but she just didn't enjoy her time with him. He was always on his phone, doing god knows what. She just didn't feel intrigued by him. He would never be more than a friend. They did show the class their presentation.

Everyone was surprised to know they had paired up and caused them to go to the winter formal together. Everyone assumed they were also together, together. She tried to deny it but Jordan only encouraged them when he wrapped his arm around her waist. She felt disgusted and humiliated. She couldn't wait for the dance to be over. Hailey just hoped that Zac didn't find out. She didn't want to distract him with that. He had the championship game that night and everyone was buzzing about it.

After their amazing win the previous week, no one could wait for this game. Sadly, Zac's father was still home, so Zac didn't have the chance to throw a party in celebration. Everyone was assuming he'd throw one after this win, but he said no. They had the dance and that would be enough.

Thinking about the dance made her heart plummet. She wasn't looking forward to it and spending even more time with Jordan. She was excited to wear her new dress, courtesy of Bella and Mariah, and finally be able to be with Zac. She couldn't wait to be his.

"Girl, I can feel the sexual tension between the two of you." Bella teased. Hailey whacked her arm earning a glare from the twin. She rolled her eyes. She looked back at Zac and saw he had a smirk on his face. She rose an eyebrow causing him to nod his head in her direction. Hailey turned and saw Jordan.

"So you did come to the game." Jordan stated. Hailey gave him a tight lip smile. She had told him that she wasn't feeling well and wouldn't be going. "And, you're wearing his jersey, again."

"Hey, yeah. I went home and laid down for a bit. I wasn't going to come but Bella and Mariah dragged me here." Hailey told him. It was partly the truth. The girls did come pick her up for the game.

"Yeah, sorry. She couldn't miss this game! We made her put on the jersey too." Bella said agreeing. Hailey let out a sigh in relief, thankful for the girl.

"Oh, can I drive you home then?" Jordan asked. Mariah was the one to answer.

"Actually, she's sleeping over. We're going to get ready for the dance at my house." Mariah told him. Jordan nodded, a deflated look on his face. "You're alright with her meeting you at the dance, right?"

Hailey turned to look at her friend. That was not a part of the plan. She turned back to look at Jordan. He was staring at her. Hailey only gave him a sheepish smile. The less time she spent with him, the better. Jordan then sighed.

"I guess that's alright." He told them. Mariah screeched, earning a huff of annoyance from him. "What now?"

"We won!" Mariah said pointing at the score. Hailey looked and saw that the kick was good. They had won. Their school won the championship. The boys brought the trophy home. They were going to be over the moon!