Chapter 49: The Family Reunion

A tiny hut stood in the suburbs of the magnificent city of Tibiru, farther from the central district where the stone walls got demolished and where the Qartlandian and Wanglongian troops had invaded from.

The Qartlandian population of Tibiru feasted as they had finally regained their freedom, had banished the Sorov conquerors from their city, had reunited with their nation and again stood under the protection of their own king. It was truly a dream come true for them.

In that tiny hut, a couple who were already in their fifties stood at the threshold, tightly hugging Prince Nick and Empress Tamie, who had arrived there with all of their friends and retinues, including the emperor, of course.

"Oh, goodness, my two sweet children!" the woman was crying joyful tears.

"Who would've thought? We knew you were geniuses but... this is just too much!" the man laughed and hugged his children.

"We missed you both so much, mom, dad!" Tamie was sobbing.

"Yeah, we longed for you, mother, father..." Nick cuddled with his dearest parents.

"I knew I'd see you again! I waited for your return!" the mother exclaimed with tears in her eyes, so happy she was to reunite with her two children after so many years.

When the first wave of happiness and bittersweet emotions passed, Tamie introduced her husband to her parents. They already knew Tamie had become an empress, but to find out the emperor of Wanglong had actually turned out to be their son-in-law still proved to be a little shocking for them.

"I am pleased to meet you, Mrs Nina Robinson, Mr Tim Beanson!" Shao courteously smiled and even bowed a little to them.

Tamie's parents blinked - an emperor was bowing to them!

"Ah... It's... It's an honour to meet you too, Your Majesty!" Nina showed her respectful bow too, as well as her husband.

"Nay, for you I'm just Wang Shao." the emperor chuckled with timidity. "You are the empress' parents. I am no 'His Majesty' for you."

Hearing such gracious words from a man of such high stance, both Nina and Tim got pleased - their daughter had chosen her partner very well.

However, she could still have married a Qartlandian... Ugh, that child, she always longed for foreigners... 

Tim secretly thought at heart. He respected his traditions and wished to have a Qartlandian man as a son-in-law, but Tamie had already shown interest towards foreigners, especially Vidars, ever since she was a child, so Tim knew it was not likely to be.

Nina, on the other hand, got truly happy and satisfied that her daughter had married a Vidar... partly Vidar, true, but who cared? Vidarian blood still boiled in Shao's veins, as he had shown such courtesy and dignity only true Vidars had. But once Nick presented his newly-acquired girlfriend Astrid (yes, they had decided to start a relationship after Nick's heroism in the battle), Nina flew into the seventh heaven - even her son had chosen a Vidar as a partner! Vidar women were known to be strong, fierce, and respectful to their husbands, just as Nick needed!

Thus, their reunion proved to be full of sweet and happy emotions. But, of course, the happiness didn't end there:

"You are most welcome to live in Wanglong Imperial Palace as the empress' and the prince's parents - the king father and the queen mother." Shao gave them a smile and a polite bow.

Thus, Nick's and Tamie's parents were invited to live in the palace. Soon, after Shao and King George signed a treaty on the common peace and friendship and agreed to start constructing the Great Silken Road as promised, all of them, together with the Wanglongian army, went back to Wanglong, where they would begin to live as a big loving family - the family who was able to change the world, and had even more up its sleeve.