Chapter 18: Tao Goes Berserk

Tao groaned and raised his eyelids. He was in his tent, lying in warm fur bedding. His chest, which Nick had earlier cut in the battle, was now bandaged. He rubbed his forehead and fell into thoughts, trying to recollect his memories. 

He gasped - Nick! He was stabbed the last time he saw him!

"You woke up?"

Tao started and looked aside. Wang Shao was sitting on a pillow near his bedding, watching him. He leapt up from the bed, grabbed the surprised Shao's shoulders, and exclaimed:

"Where's the Sorovian general?"

Shao blinked - what had happened to him all of a sudden? Why was he so worried about a mere enemy's fate?

"Why would you care?"

"Answer, damn it!"

Tao yelled so unlike himself. His countenance showed despair. Shao furrowed his brow - it was the first time Tao dared talk to him like that. Usually, he was polite enough as to not yell at the prince.

"He got wounded and we captured him. He's unconscious, tied in a tent. We are determined to torture him and interrogate him to find out about the Sorovs' strategies and plans. Then we'll kill him... But I'd like to know why you're so concerned about him - he's a Sorov, our enemy."

Blood boiled in Tao's veins. He gnashed his teeth:

"He is not an enemy! If you dare lay a single finger on him, I shall obliterate you along with your whole army, damn it!"

Shao grew completely dumbfounded - he... threatened him?! A mere servant who was being whipped by his hands some days ago?

"Who do you think you are? No matter how close you get to me, do not forget that you are but a servant, and if I wish, I can punish you to death at any minute."

Tao chuckled with hysteria. He winced, but, notwithstanding his bandaged wounds which still hurt, stood up, grabbed his sword lying there nearby, and pointed it at the prince:

"Well then, punish me to death, if you so can, but I promise you, Your Highness - if you pose me an obstacle, I shall not hesitate to kill you."

Shao widened his eye in sincere surprise, but then got incensed - he dared declare he was stronger than him, the Wolf Prince?!

"You've said before that a fox can never beat a wolf." He took out his sword.

"If a fox has precious ones to protect, she shall beat anyone on her way!"

Tao attacked. A terrible duel began - both young men swung their blades, trying to stab each other. Tao indeed fought like an enraged dragon, heavily breathing air from his nostrils as if blowing fire, and sprang around no matter that he was injured. Shao fought like a savage wolf, swiftly parrying the attacks of his opponent.

Tao swung his sword at Shao's head, but just then, his chest wound stung. He winced, fell to his knees, and dropped the sword. The tip of Shao's blade touched his neck.

"A fox can never beat a wolf. You said that yourself. That shall not change. Any last words?"

"Yes. My words are - a fox can be smarter than a wolf!"

Tao grabbed Shao's sword by its edge. He kicked Shao, dropped him down, took the sword from his hand and sprang up. He pointed the tip of the sword at the prince. Shao could easily notice that his hands had already begun to bleed from such a risky manoeuvre.

"Your hands are bleeding... Are you out of your mind? You could've been killed! Or you thought I'd mercy you?"

"Oh, I simply didn't care, Your Highness." Tao smiled. "You intend to kill my brother. I won't hesitate to take any risk just to save him. No matter that you are my master, you will always be in second place in my priorities compared to my brother."

I will never betray my beloved brother for this guy...

"What is it you're talking about?" Shao raised an eyebrow, "How can a Sorov be your brother? You are indeed a spy of the Sorovs?"

"Ugh, you still don't understand, eh, master? That general is not a Sorov, but a Qartlandian! His name is Nick Beanson, and he is my..." She halted - brother?! She had already said she was half Wanglongian! She came up with a solution: "He is my half-brother. We have the same mother. We grew together as blood brothers, so I perceive him as my true brother."

Shao widened his eye - so that was the case...

"So, what are you going to do now?" He looked at the tip of the sword pointed at his neck.

"I demand you free my brother and let me see him and tend to his wounds. In return, I'll let you get out of this safe and sound."

"Do you realise that if you kill me both you and your precious brother will die?" Shao raised an eyebrow, unimpressed.

"I didn't threaten your life, Your Highness. I simply threatened your health. I could probably peck out your second eye." Tao put the tip of his sword to Shao's only eye - the left one (the right one which was covered with his black hair at all times was also covered with a black eye-patch and was forever gone since Tao had known him), "Or maybe... cut off one of your limbs?"

Shao rolled his eye:

"You are playing with your fate, Xin Tao. Why are you going this far?"

"Have you left me any other choice?"

"Yes, you dumb boy - you could've told me he was your brother from the beginning! I'd have let you help him. I've got brothers too whom I love. Even though your feelings are stronger towards your brother, I can still understand how you feel."

"Oh..."

Tao got the sword off the prince. Shao stood, dusted off his armour, took his sword out of Tao's hands and put it back into its scabbard. Then he glanced at Tao's bleeding hands and chest - even his wound had reopened while he'd been jumping around.

"Lie back down. No one's going to harm your brother from now on. You'd better think of your own injuries."

Tao smiled:

"No, don't worry, my injuries are fine_"

Just then, however, due to losing so much blood, his eyes rolled and he fell to the ground unconscious.