Chapter 9

-two weeks later-
After the first night of the Circus being in Santa Fe, I took Justice out on patrol with me. It was my first night back on patrol since Taipei.

I chased a crook down a familiar street. Justice was trying as hard to keep up. The crook ran into an alley way between two houses. I chased him. When I came out of the alley, I stopped in my tracks. I looked at the house in front of me. I put my bow away and threw a bolas at the man tripping him. I went over and tied him up. He yelled for help as I tied him up. The light on the front porch of my childhood home turned on and a young man stepped out. I turned on my voice cloaker.
"Call the police and have them come pick up this crook. Tell them Zodiac and White Angel caught him breaking Into a house a few blocks away." I said.

Justice finally caught up to me. I gave him a water bottle as the young man ran in and grabbed a phone. I called for my motor cycle As the young man returned to the porch. I nodded to him as Justice gave me the water bottle back.

My bike got here and I gave Justice his helmet. I got on with him holding onto me. I glanced once more at my childhood home. We road off back to the circus. I parked my bike and camouflaged it. I carried Justice inside and he changed and got ready for bed. I kissed Wally and Sage and then went to bed myself.

In the morning I got them all up.
"I wants you all to come with me and visit somewhere I hasn't been in years." I said.

When we were all ready. I called an Uber to take us back to my childhood home. We got out and I told them to behave. I held Sage as I walked up the steps. I stopped and thought of the happy memories of my family sitting on the porch, and laughing. The joyous laughter echoed in my head. I went up to the door and knocked.

A young pregnant woman answered the door.
"Hi, my name is Maria and um I know you don't know me. But I used to live here and I haven't been here in years. I was wondering if I, we could come in and look around." The young woman looked confused for a moment.
"Um," she said.
"You know those hand prints at the bottom of the steps in the cement?" I asked motioning with Sage to where I was talking about.
She nodded.
"Those are my sisters and I's." I said.
"I was seven years old when we repaved the walk way." I said looking back at the walk way.
"Please come in." She said.
I held Wally's hand and we went in. Justice followed me.
"My husband, Mike's in the back. Let me get him." She went out the back door and returned with the young man who'd called the police last night.
"What is it Katie?" He asked.
"This is Maria, she says she used to live here." Katie said. He shook my hand.
"Haly circus? Are you apart of it?" He asked noticing my shirt.
"Yes sir, I do the areal routines every night." I said.
"So you said you lived here? Do you know anything about the murders?" He asked.
I bit my lip and looked and the wood floors.
"Yes sir I do, I was there when they happened." I said.
"Would you like to sit?" Mike asked.
"No, I Don't wanna take up much of your time. I just needed a bit of nostalgia." I said.
"Well here let us give you a tour." He said. I smiled,
"I'd like that, I haven't been here in twenty years." I Said.

They showed us the rooms. They had turned my old bedroom into their nursery. It was painted pink.
"This is our nursery." Mike said.
"This was my bedroom. I loved to watch the cars go by from the window, and the fireflies in summer." I said as I walked in and over to the window.

•••

"Thank you for letting me show my children my home." I Said.
Katie came to the door with two scrapbooks.
"We are the first ones to buy this house since your family. We found these in the basement. You should take them." Katie Said.
I took them, "thank you, if you go to the circus tonight. I'll leave two tickets for you two at the ticket booth." I said.
"That sounds wonderful." Katie Said.
"Trust me take as many date nights as you two can before your baby comes. You won't get many after that." I said as I picked Wally up also.
"Hey random question but got any suggestions on baby names?" Katie asked.
"Jamie," I Said.
"That's cute," Mike said.
"Thank you for letting me see the house. You have no idea how much this means to me after what just happened." I looked at the floor thinking about my dead sisters. "I hope to see you tonight at the show." I Said changing the subject.
I walked down the path and called for an Uber to take me back to the circus.

•••

Sage and Wally sat still as I got ready. Justice was helping me get my makeup on. I took the face paint and painted my face. I was doing a new routine tonight that involved Black lights. Justice was painting over my tattoos to make them apear in the black light.
"Are you done sweetie?" I asked.
"Almost," Justice Said as he painted my back.
When he finished I put my wig cap then the gripper on over it. I put my wig on and then pinned it into place.
"I need good luck kisses." I said.
Justice kissed my cheek, then Wally and Sage.

Justice went and took his seat in the front row.

My act was the last act before intermission, so I had to keep my children entertained till Sinbad was done with his number and could watch them while I was onstage.

"Now we have the Mystical Anastasia, preforming her gravity defying aerial act. And take notice, there is no net." Haly said.

I went out and did my starting pose. The music started and I climbed to the top of the silks and secured my feet before hanging upside down. My body went Into muscle memory as I did my routine.

At the end of the routine. I sat at the knot tied into the silks. I smiled, waved and blew a kiss before leaning backwards for my last trick. The audience screamed as I fell backwards. I grabbed onto the silks and slid down earning me a loud applause from the audience. I took my bow then Haly came out and said it was intermission.

______________________
A/n: hope you enjoyed this chapter. I actually got it up earlier than I usually do.
-Zodiac