Fandom Primer

I have realized that many fandom blind Wattpad readers are often confused about the canon-related stuff. So, I decided to make a quick intro to Gungrave fandom itself.

You may choose to skip this if you're confident that you can piece all the scattered canon-related information in the story itself (like most ffnet's fandom blind readers do), or if you're familiar with Gungrave anime. For the latter, do note that this is set one year after the anime's ending, assuming that Brandon lives. On FFnet, I've posted the stories about what happen during that one year, starting from how Brandon rejoins Millennion, recovers from the final battle in the anime, and his various duties as a Millennion man. Skip to BETRAY ME NOT section to see a summary of what happens in that one year.

Be warned that this primer, although not as complete as the one posted at Caesar's Palace on ffnet, is still a lot of information to absorb.

BACKGROUND

Gungrave is a 3rd person shooter game developed by Red Entertainment, with Yasuhiro Nightow (Trigun, Kekkai Sensen) as the original creator. In 2003, an anime adaptation is made by Studio Madhouse. Gungrave is more well-known for the anime, which is why if you look around any fanfiction websites, it's placed in Anime/Manga category.

Because the fanfic is set a year after the canon, this primer will only explain about the anime and the involved/mentioned characters in this fic.

ANIME SYNOPSIS

For starters, how do you start it? The anime itself starts in medias res.

If you start from episode 2 (recommended), Gungrave tells a story of two men in a small-time gang, Brandon Heat and Harry MacDowell. To stay alive in the mafia-infested town of Billion, they do what crooks do: stealing, conning, fighting in the streets, etc. When the story starts, they accidentally pick on someone who has a relation with the Mafia, which leads to the deaths of everybody in the gang except Brandon and Harry. Not long after the incident, Harry offends a gang leader with his rebellious attitude, which almost gets them killed until Millennion, the biggest mafia organization in Billion, interferes. Harry finds himself interested in Millennion because of the possibility to be free from a pathetic life, so he asks to join the organization. Brandon is initially shocked by Harry's plan, but seeing that he'll be alone and aimless without Harry and considering that his lover, Maria Asagi, is already in Millennion, he decides to join as well. This is when Brandon's and Harry's friendship is tested.

If you start from episode 1 (not recommended, because it's just episode 18 without all the flashbacks), Gungrave tells a story of Brandon Heat, now a necrolyzer called Beyond the Grave, is out to seek vengeance on his murderer, Harry MacDowell. He has been sleeping for thirteen years inside Dr. Tokioka's trailer until Mika Asagi, the child of Millennion's deceased founder, Big Daddy, and Brandon's lover in his mortal life, Maria Asagi, comes to him for protection. Because Mika's parents are murdered by Harry, she shares the same goal with Grave: seeking revenge. However, as the struggle continues and more people are dying in Harry's hand, their mettle is tested.

CHARACTERS

Brandon Heat/Beyond the Grave - Silent. Loyal. Selfless. The passive and faithful Brandon always lets his actions speak for him. Due to his silence and his job as a hitman in Millennion, he often comes across as cold and apathetic. However, deep down, he has a warm and gentle heart, which he doesn't hesitate to show to his friends and family. He is highly protective of his loved ones and nothing can stop him from doing his job. When the situation calls for it, he won't hesitate to give his all, even if he has to take a bullet for somebody else (becomes a daily basis once he becomes Grave, as his body resists bullets). Brandon has high moral standards and despises killing, but because it's the only way to protect his friends and family, he forces himself to do it. He excels in fighting, especially with guns and fists. Unfortunately, he is very poor at making decisions and can be rather careless.