Sixteen

PRESENT TIME
JUNIOR YEAR
JENSEN HOUSEHOLD
TAPE 3, SIDE A
IMOGEN'S POV

"Boys are assholes. Some are assholes all the time. All are assholes some of the time. It's just how boys are. Well. . maybe not all boys. Mostly, boys are assholes. But girls. . girls can be evil."

❚❚

"Imo, come on, wake up. . family breakfast in 10 minutes." My mom said when she walked into my room. I sat up from my bed, because I was fully awake, I just hadn't got up yet.

"We're still attempting that?" I asked, and she nodded her head.

"Attempting and achieving, let's go." She said, and then she disappeared back down the stairs. I rolled my eyes and got out of bed to get dressed, which was a pair of leggings, and something that belonged to Justin, this time one of his shirts, and I matched it with one of his jackets because it's a little cold outside. I guess if you haven't noticed yet.

I love wearing my boyfriend's clothes.

When I walked downstairs, Clay and my dad were already seated. Plates already set and filled with food and glasses of orange juice, full. My dad looked at me and smiled. "Good morning, sweetie." He said when I sat down, and then he looked at Clay. "And goodmorning, pal."

Clay gave our dad a look. "Dad, we talked about pal." Clay said.

"Good morning, honey." He responded and I laughed, while Clay looked at him and nodded.

"Well played." Clay said, and then I noticed Dad leaned over and sniffed him.

"Did you shower?" He asked, and Clay nodded.

"I totally showered." He said.

"You're definitely lying." I said.

"I feel like it's possible you didn't shower." He said.

"I didn't shower." Clay said, basically in a whisper.

"Did you shower last night?" Mom asked him, and I looked at Clay and I know he was wondering where all this interrogating was coming from and I couldn't help but laugh.

"Look. . I just. . I turned the water on just now, and I thought about it all, the whole thing, taking clothes off, dealing with hair and I just. . I couldn't do it." He said, and I raised an eyebrow.

"So you'd rather be dirty and smelly?" I asked.

Clay rolled his eyes at me before continuing. "Look, we shower, like. . everyday and it's just. . a lot." He said, and now I was the one who rolled my eyes.

"That's probably actually the dumbest thing I've ever heard anyone say. . and most of my friends are jocks." I said, and both of my parents looked between me and Clay.

"Okay." My dad said.

"Clay. . Imogen, guys there's something I want to talk to you both about." My mother said, and then in the saving grace of time, my phone buzzed and when Monty's name and picture popped up, I knew that meant he was here to pick me up and I knew it also meant Justin was with him.

"Uh, my ride just got here. . so I have to go. Um, I love you guys." I said, before quickly getting myself out of there, because whatever it is my mother had to tell us.

It couldn't be good.

"Courtney Crimson. What a pretty name. And what a pretty girl. With her perfect family. Coffee together, every morning. And you're also very nice, Courtney. Everyone says so. You're nice to everyone. . all the time. You're one of the most popular girls in school. And you are just so. . nice. Right? Wrong. I hoped we could be friends, Courtney. I needed a friend. I think you did too. But you had some secrets that you wanted to keep, even from yourself. For days, after Tyler's picture went around, I tried to catch your eye. You ignored me, for weeks. But I decided enough was enough. I wanted to talk to you. I mean, we were in this together. . weren't we?"