Missed Oppurtunities

Start from the beginning

"That's wierd," I sigh, shoving my backpack aside to check the rest of my locker.

"What's wrong?" Maddy asks.

"I can't find my phone. I always leave it in the front pocket of my backpack." I grab my backpack up and check the front pocket again.

"Maybe you forgot it in the car."

"Maybe," I frown. "I guess I should go and ask Wendy real quick."

"You're going to drive to where she works just to ask a question?" Maddy asks, eyebrows knit together.

"Actually, Wendy works at the food court here. It shouldn't take me very long."

I'm ready to jog over there when Maddy holds me back.

"Wait, you drove me here."

"I'll pay for your taxi," I offer impatiently without care for how expensive it will be. I needed to see Wendy.

"I don't know if I feel safe doing that," Maddy protests.

"I'll drop you off at home then I guess. I'll just pick Wendy up after she parks her car at her house." I try to make a run for it but Maddy grabs me by the arm again.

"Sorry, but I need to go to the bathroom. I'll be right back and cover for you, so you can talk to Wendy."

"Sure," I reluctantly agree.

Maddy leaves to find the bathroom and I stand behind the counter. Every so often, I heave out a frustrated sigh and tap the counter restlessly as I waited for Maddy to come back.

Why is she taking so long. I hope Wendy didn't leave already. Shit. Hanging out with Maddy was fun at first- catching up with her after a long time. But now, she's really getting annoying.

Maddy finally renters the store, clutching her stomach. By now, it is already closing time. I had all my things and locking the doors was only thing left to do.

"What took so long?" I ask, with a tinge of irritation.

"Sorry, but I got sick. I threw up a bit. Maybe it was food poisoning," Maddy explains. "Could you drive me home fast? I don't feel good at all."

There is nothing else I can do. I can't leave her to get a taxi on her own.

"Is it really urgent?"

"Yeah," she nods, groaning and clamping her hand over her mouth.

"Do you need to puke?" I jump trying to run for a trash bin.

"No, just nauseated."

I grab a few of the plastic bags and hand them to Maddy. After going to the back to grab her things, we close up shop and head for the parking lot.

Maddy stops me from going towards the direction of the food court.

"What's wrong?"

"I get nauseated from the smell of greasy food when I'm sick. Can we go out another way?"

Well, I was planning to talk to Wendy. Plus I purposely parked there so I could leave work and see Wendy everyday. So far this week, I had no luck since Wendy seemed to be in the back doing stuff. I couldn't run back there either with Maddy around.

"This is the fastest way to get to my car? I don't think you'll be okay walking so far."

"The smell..." Maddy groans, covering her nose.

I give in and we walk out a different door, and walking around the building, we make it to my car.

Inside, I try to search for my phone, but it's not there. With Maddy ill, I have to give up my search and drive her home quickly. Luckily, Wendy's car is still in the lot. If I drive fast, I could catch her leaving work.

Nearly speeding, I take Maddy back home. Suprisingly, she doesn't seem nauseated by the high speed I'm diving at. Once I pull up on the driveway, I try to urgently, though at the same time subtly, shoo her out of my car. Of course, she takes her time to slowly crawl out and loses her house keys, which were at the bottom of her backpack the entire time.

Once she finally leaves, I rush back to the mall, only to find Wendy's car now gone. I then headed for her house, but the driveway didn't have her car either. Theoretically, she should've been home by now if her car left before I could see it. Maybe I had taken a shorter route and beat her. Maybe she stopped for gas. Either way, she'll eventually be home.

Bored, I look around my car for something to occupy myself with. And, in a crevice of the passenger seat was my phone. I don't even know how it got there, but it didn't really matter at the moment. I snatched it up and pressed the on-button. Nothing! I try again, but the screen was black. Maybe I accidentally shut it off. I hold down the button for a prolonged period until the phone screen finally lit up.

Low battery.

What? How is this even possible? I barely used it all day. Fuck!

Guess I have no choice but to wait until Wendy gets here. Slowly, I felt myself drifting into a nap, so I lowered the back. I allow myself to fall asleep, knowing Wendy will wake me up when she sees my car in the driveway.

Even though I was sleeping, a smile was cemented on my face and butterflies of excitement in my stomach.

I can't wait to see her silly grin.

*****
Please tell me if you enjoyed seeing Vincent's perspective. If so, I will do it again!