Why?!

As Tontine Tomahawk pulls the name card from it's respected reaping bowl, I start to see things.
Jonas is walking to the stage with a frightful look on her face.  She's really there heading to her death as I call out her name, but all that comes out is a silent "no".  And I realize it's not really happening... yet. 
Tontine's lips part and right before she says the name I close my eyes. But the name that I hear is not what I expected. It's my very own.   The words Anil Mason echo in my ears.  I hear my sister scream out in horror as the cloud of 15 year old girls part.  I'm stunned. Out of all girls, I was chosen. Is that just a purposeful act done by the Capitol because I'm Johanna Mason's granddaughter? I don't know, I don't know anything.

Right before I reach the stage, a voice calls out "stop!" Along with everyone else my head instinctively whipps around to see who would stop the joyous procession. And that innocent voice that called out was Jonas's. She's looking at me sorrowfully, and I know imedeatly what her next move is. 'No,' I mouth at her, 'don't do this for me.' I'm pleading with her now. " I...I...," She's hesitant. "I voulenteer as tribute." She's calmer than ever as she says it, and I can't help but start to cry.  'The Masons don't cry,' I think, and I sloppily wipe the tears from my eyes.  The Peacekeepers let go of their tight grip from around my shoulders and I run towards Jonas's open arms.  But I only had time to whisper the word "why?!" to her before another Peacekeeper pulls me away from her embrace.  I try to fight him but he's too strong and after pushing and squealing I finally hang limp.

Jonas is walking to the stage now and I know there is no turning back.  I find my parents in the crowd and they wrap me in a hug I don't want to leave. I just want to stay here until the games are over, but we were quickly separated as I was pulled back to my age group.  Tontine is still surprised that someone younger than the called tribute voulenteered for the games. I am too.

"What is your name, miss?" Tontine asks enthusiastically.
"Jonas Mason," Jonas replies into the microphone. 
"And I'd bet right now that was your older sister you voulenteered for, am I right?"  She asks again.  "Yes." It was a straight out reply and she let out a big sigh in the process.
"Well then, let's give a round of applause for District Seven's female voulenteer tribute!"  There are a few claps, but the rest of the District does something I didn't expect, even though I did it too.  The three middle fingers of every citizen in District Seven were pressed against they're lips and then raised into the air.  Tontine's expression was rebellious as she knew about the last time this was done in District Twelve's Town square.

"Ok," she lets out a deep breath.  "The male tribute for this year will be..." her hand is in the male reaping bowl... " Boston Mason...."

I gasp and bury my face in my hands.  A brother and sister from the same District going against each other to kill each other in the Hunger Games.  There is really something wrong with this country.

This new news was devestating to my family.  To think I'm going to lose both my sister and my brother or just one sibling in the next week breaks my heart.  Because I love them both more than anything in the world.  I'm expressionless and motionless as Boston cautiously walks to the reaping stage.

"Please welcome this year's tributes from District Seven!" Tontine seems unaware that this year's tributes are brother and sister.  And now they have to kill each other....