Julian dragged a pillow across his face and groaned into it.

~

As Julian dressed in his riding clothes, he looked around the bedchambers. He would never sleep in such a comfortable bed again, sit by such a warm hearth, or eat such a good meal. The luxuries of Regulus' life were tempting, but not enough to keep him. Julian was never supposed to die in this wretched place, nor spend the rest of his life imprisoned by a madman. Julian tucked the knife into his one of his knee-high riding boots.

In the late afternoon, the kitchens delivered the pouch of food exactly as Julian had asked. Julian uncorked the red wine and dumped the sleeping elixir into it. Just as Regulus returned, Julian kicked the empty vial under the bed.

"Ready?" Julian asked as Regulus dressed, shoving the flask of red wine back into the pouch.

Regulus emerged from the washroom, wiping his hands with a cloth. He tossed the cloth aside and grinned at Julian.

"We have to leave now, or we'll miss the sunset—" Julian began.

Regulus wrapped his arms around Julian's waist and dipped him, catching Julian by surprise. Julian laughed in sudden surprise and slid his arms around Regulus' neck for security, but Regulus didn't drop him. Regulus kissed him on the mouth before pulling Julian up again.

Julian smiled quizzically at Regulus, a little red-cheeked and winded from the heavy-handed display of affection. He smoothed down his hair self-consciously.

"In the Drama of Sir Leyerle, Sir Leyerle writes about kissing his bride like that in the wooded mountains." Regulus explained with a bashful smile, grabbing the pouch of supplies and lifting it over his shoulder.

Ah, Regulus' silly little book of poems. One of the most surprising things about Regulus was how much of a romantic he was, and much of his inspiration derived from his books. Regulus had read aloud a few passages from the Drama of Sir Leyerle, and didn't hide how he considered himself something like the brave and handsome knight who always made grand gestures to his beloved.

When Julian and Regulus stepped into the corridor, Thomas and Gregory stood to attention immediately.

"The horses are readied, sir." Gregory reported, "The stable boys prepared four—"

"I asked for only two, Gregory." Regulus corrected immediately as he walked down the corridor. Julian hastened to walk with him and shot Gregory a glare when Regulus wasn't looking.

"Yes, sir, I remember, but I thought you might change your mind." Gregory said, exchanging a look with Thomas. "Lanford suggested the four horses, actually. There are bandits in the woods, and...other dangers."

Regulus stopped in the corridor, and everyone stopped with him. He turned to Gregory and Thomas. "Thomas does not require a companion when he visits the buck-toothed whores by the docks." Regulus said evenly. "And he stumbles back, pissed drunk with his trousers around his ankles. Yet he is still standing here."

Thomas blanched. He ran his fingers through his thin hair. "Aye, that is mostly true, sir. But I have run into trouble a few times." Thomas croaked. Julian snickered behind his hand.

"I understand your concern, Gregory, but remember your place." Regulus said, and he didn't raise his voice. He didn't have to.

"You're right, sir." Gregory murmured, entirely stony-faced though Julian knew that he was fuming. "We'll see you when you return."

"Come along, Julian," Regulus said briskly as he headed around the corridor. Julian followed him, but stole one last glance at Gregory. Strange, that he would never see Gregory again. A part of Julian wished he could say a proper goodbye.