Chapter 22

Later in the evening, Julian and Regulus were sitting together on Regulus' balcony. They had escaped the banquet early under the guise of wanting to see the sun set and had sat on Regulus' balcony for about an hour, kissing and talking quietly. Julian's wrist no longer ached so much, and they hadn't bickered since their small spat at dinner.

By now, cool night air ruffled their clothes and the moon peeked through the clouds. They hadn't moved from their spot on the bench as if they hadn't noticed the sun had set.

Julian' legs rested on Regulus' thigh and let his feet dangle between Regulus' legs. Regulus rested his arm across Julian's thighs and pulled him closer, pressing kisses down the line of Julian's neck. He pressed another kiss to a spot just below Julian's ear, and Julian fought a shiver.

"You're very pretty, Julian," Regulus murmured, dragging his fingers lazily up and down Julian's thigh. "Drives me mad."

Julian snickered. He couldn't help but laugh, despite knowing that Regulus was trying to be romantic. Regulus was so forward, and it was hard to take such sweet talking seriously. Regulus was forward in many ways. He often whispered things into Julian's ear that Julian would never be able to say in the light of day.

Regulus moved away for a moment to get a better look at Julian and shared a bashful grin. "Why does that make you laugh?"

Julian pressed his hands to his face to hide his flushed cheeks. "I don't know." He groaned. It was all very strange. His younger self had never imagined a future where he could kiss another man, let alone share a bed with him. He had resigned himself to a rather lonely life as an unmarried coffin-maker. Even though he still suffered bouts of loneliness and despair, the weight in his heart was not so noticeable when he was around Regulus.

Regulus laughed, grabbing Julian's hands and bringing them down to his lap. "You are so embarrassed." Regulus said in delight. "Look at your face, you're bright red."

"Stop, Regulus. I am not. Don't tease me." Julian protested, despite the fact that he could feel the warmth in his cheeks.

"Ah, but it's so easy." Regulus flashed a handsome smile to Julian. "And I like watching you blush."

Julian huffed in annoyance. Regulus captured Julian's hand in his and intertwined their fingers, bringing Julian's hand to his lips. He pressed a gentle kiss to Julian's knuckles, and Julian smiled slightly.

Julian leaned closer and kissed Regulus' on the mouth. He threaded his fingers through Regulus' hair as they kissed, and another cool blow of wind ruffled their clothes.

When they went to bed that night, something changed for Julian. As Regulus undressed Julian slowly and kissed his bare skin, Julian felt himself give in to Regulus' embrace. He let the desire that he had been suppressing for weeks take over. He moved above Regulus and leaned down to kiss him on the mouth, pressing Regulus' hands to the bed and intertwining their fingers. Regulus smiled into their kiss.

Everything was quite tender. Loving, even. They kissed when Regulus moved gently inside of Julian and Julian cried out Regulus' name when he came.

Later in the evening, Julian was lying in bed alone. Hours had passed since returning from the banquet, and his eyes were growing heavy. He turned his head tiredly and looked at the slightly ajar door to Regulus' study. Regulus had been in there for about an hour now, working by candlelight.

Julian sat up in bed and rubbed his forehead tiredly. He considered calling for warm milk from the kitchens. Julian had never able to fall asleep easily, despite the constant exhaustion he battled. It had only grown worse since the failed rebellion and his imprisonment in the dungeons.