3 - Reencounter (English)

December 2004

- Helena -

It was Christmas Eve, and I got a call from Producer Tim Burton. I had already worked with him on the movie "Apes" and Big Fish and he said he was doing a new project, and asked if I did not want to participate in a small role. I would make the little boy's mother who would be the main character and the recordings would start in January 2005. I accepted, because I was not busy, and would have no commitments on that date. So we talked about this movie and it explained to me that it would be a new version of the movie "Charlie And The Chocolate Factory". We would talk on the phone and he told me the name of the actor who would play one of the main roles in the film.

- What? I said incredulously?

- Oh, you know about Johnny's work.

Yes, I watched all the movies produced by Tim, and there was Johny in "Edward Scissorhands" or "Sleepy Hollow". A film that was very successful even. But I did not believe I would have to work with that guy whom I had not seen for years. And who I'd like to forget. But I could not deny the job now that I had said yes. And after all, it would be childish of me because I was no longer a silly girl, I was a new woman, and in the end in accounts that "idiot" would see who I became. So after thinking I accepted the job.

The days went by and i was anxious waiting for the recording to arrive soon. Finally the day came. I was nervous and with cold hands and it was not because of the London cold. Tim Burton wanted to have a meeting with all the actors who would be part of his new story before starting with the recordings.

- Would he remember me? - I asked myself mentally. I do not think so. He was a foolish boy who only liked to have fun with decent girls and also ...

- Helena! - A slightly recognizable male voice called my name.

I turned slowly and looked who it was.

- Helena Bonham Carter, - he said my full name - who would say we would work together in the same movie!

Yeah, he definitely remembered me.

- Hello, Johnny.

- You are different the time has made you well. - he said.

- Yeah and you ... It seems to be the same Johnny - I said with some irony.

He smiled and patted my back then went to greet the other actors who were arriving.

- Johnny -

When I saw her, I could not believe it was really her. Not because she was different, but because I counted the days to have this meeting with her. I could not look so surprised to see her, I did not want her to think I was some crazy, I tried to act as normal as possible.

I wanted to clarify what had happened on the day of the ball 20 years ago, but I do not know if that would make sense to her, or if it had any importance. I remember seeing a very angry Helena walking out of the prom when it rained a lot. She would not let me talk or explain anything that had happened. And the next day, I had to hurry back to New York, as I had to meet with the directors of a new project.

Seeing her, she certainly messed with me. But I could not let that affect me at all.

Our characters would not have many scenes together, just a few lines that would be said in the same environment and just that.

Tim was talking to me and all the actors about the story. Everything was clear. And today we would have recordings of some scenes.

Helena wore a humble costume from a housewife for her character. A pity so much beauty was hiding under that suit. But it was still had the ability to stay beautiful.