Mental

As I walk down the familiar halls of the town’s Psychiatric Hospital, my mind couldn’t help but to remind myself exactly why I was here. Daily, I came to this place, no matter if I was ill or extremely tired; I would come anyways. My grandmother, Grandma Ann, has a severe case of Alzheimer’s. Along with my grandmother, there are only a handful of other patients with Alzheimer’s. Most people who suffer go to a home specifically for Alzheimer’s, but not the ones like they have here. These patients are known to be extremely violent.

The hall opened up into a waiting room. Few people were sitting scattered amongst the room. This place doesn’t get many visitors. Most relatives and friends of the patients drop them off and never see them again. Yeah, those kinds of people are dicks.

I walked up to the front desk and said, “Patient Ann Taylor. Room 26. Alzheimer’s. Relationship- granddaughter. 19.” I also slid her my drivers license. From the daily visits, I had remembered all the questions asked for visitors. Then I memorized the order of them and the answers. I don’t have a life or patience if you couldn’t tell already.

“It’ll be a moment. Please take a seat.”

Taking in a seat in the middle of the waiting room, I scanned the room casually. The waiting room wasn’t actually much of a waiting room. It was a small room, not fit for over 20 people. Not even half that much were ever here anyways. Only four or five other people actually were waiting in their seats.

A boy with chocolate combed up hair and striking brown eyes was being escorted by two muscular men dressed in a black jump suit. These men were specifically assigned to transport psychiatric patients from room to room. It wasn’t long until the boy’s elbow was few up and nailed one of the men in the face. He then side kicked the other guard in the gut, sending him stumbling backwards into the front desk.

The first guard’s nose was bleeding. He came up to pop the boy with a hook. The brown-eyed-boy quickly blocked it, and then rammed the guards together by violently shoving them into each other. They both crumbled to the floor on impact.

By this time, I was out of my seat. Red lights flashed and alarms blared. The boy fixed his eyes on the exit, not taking his eyes off of it. He was inching closer and closer to me. I felt my body tense up and my breath hitch up my throat. His arm grazed by mine, and for a moment, his eyes connected with mine before fixating them on the exit again.

When he sprinted out the exit, rays of light poured in the dark room from outside.

A group of guards piled into the small room. One with a bull horn announced, “Everyone, we ask you to please leave. There will be no visitors today due to the obvious events.”

Before I left, I went to talk to the baffled woman behind the desk.

“Who was that?” I asked.

“Liam Payne, and he’s insane.”

I turned to leave, heading out the exit Liam had just ran out of. As I closed the heavy doors behind me, I overheard some of the men talking.

“That Liam dude, he’s got 37 escape attempts on his record.”

+++

There were a lot of cars in the parking lot. Though there weren’t many visitors, there was a ton of faculty. It didn’t take long to distinguish my red Ford Mustang from the dull gray and white vans. I unlocked my car, and climbed in. Thoughts of what the hell I was supposed to do with the rest of my day now clouded my head as I started up the car.

Before I could even pull out of my parking space, a felt a cool metal object against my neck.

“Drive,” A voice from behind me demanded.

My eyes shifted up to the mirror only to see chocolate brown eyes staring back at me.

"Fuck," I sighed.