A Place to Write

I'm sitting here in an out-of-town library, having just received my library card (Yipee, more books!), wondering why the lure of the perfect place to write is so overwhelmingly attractive. As writers, we feel the need to have a place of importance and significance if our words are to truly mean something, well, meaningful.

How many times do you fall into this trap? You sit down to write and suddenly the doubts start popping in your head:

"You know, you'd probably write better over there, next to the window."

Really, I can see the window from here just fine, thank you. Plus, I don't need to see all the birds and other animals frolicking about; I'll just want to go outside and join them, something I likely would not do if I weren't trying to write.

"Why are you writing at one o'clock in the morning? Don't you know all the real writers wake up before dawn to write?"

Since when are you a real writer, Mr. negative voice inside my head?

"You should really try a bookstore/library/coffee shop to write. It's quiet and you'll be able to focus better."

No, I shouldn't and no, I won't. Libraries, bookstores, and coffee shops have two things that are the kiss of death to writers: Wi-fi and—duh—books!

And on it goes. By the time you finish squabbling with your inner critic (aka know-it-all), you've exhausted all the energy you mustered for the actual task at hand—you're supposed to be writing, for goodness' sake!

And with a place to write comes all the other "necessities," such as:

• Your favorite drink (you have to leave your writing space to prepare/order it)

• Your favorite soundtrack (there goes all of your writing time spent looking for playlists on YouTube, Spotify, iTunes, and countless others)

• A "How to Write" book you must read before allowing yourself to type/write the first word (Stephen King said that to be able to write a lot means you should read a lot, but I don't think he meant when you're in the process of writing.)

Why does it even matter where you write, anyway? And what's got us writers so caught up in the mindsick vomitted out by all the so-called real writers? I recently read a great piece by TheAlvarezChronicles in his story Chasing Words about how we as writers should want to stand on our own merits instead of imitating others (see external link).

I have such a complex when it comes to comparative-itis. I don't know about anyone else, but the moment I hear that a so-and-so professional writer has just published their gazillionth book, it makes me want to just cut off all my limbs to save myself the trouble of ever believing I'll be so productive as a writer.

Even now, my mind is wondering, trying to pull me out of the writing moment, so I must be going to avoid diminishing returns in my work.

For now, at least, I've gotten the words down. All my limbs and digits still in tact, victory is mine...for the moment.

If you liked this chapter, please vote, share, and comment. Note: The picture above is one of my actual writing spots at home! To see more, check out my blog post on the topic of the perfect writing spot, where I discuss tips to help you settle in quicker than before so you can get back to the actual writing: http://www.ericbeaty.com/5-tips-perfect-writing-spot.