CHAPTER 22

Klaus didn't tell me where we're going. He only said to dress-up nice and wait for him. By 6pm, I was starting to get ready. I put on a little make-up and wore a yellow, mini-length dress with a straight neckline and center, back zipper. 

I put my hair up in a bun and a few minutes later, there was a knock on my door

I put my hair up in a bun and a few minutes later, there was a knock on my door. I grabbed my purse and opened the door to see Klaus, wearing a red-button down with the first few buttons undone under a black blazer.

"You look

"You look...gorgeous," He breathe out.

"Thank you," I shyly said, tucking a loose curl behind my ear.

He held out his arm, saying, "Shall we?"

I nodded and curled my arm around his. He led me to the car and we drove off to who-knows-where.

"Where are we even going?" I asked.

"Somewhere you've never been," He told me. Ten minutes later, we pulled up into an Asian restaurant and it looked really fancy. Its walls were navy blue and the tiles were sparkling white. We entered the restaurant and got seated immediately.

"I feel so...underdressed," I confessed.

"Nonsense, love," Klaus protested, "You're the most beautiful woman here,"

"I don't even know what to order," I said, giggling as I hid my face behind the menu.

"That's what I'm here for," Klaus said, winking. As a waiter came to take our order, Klaus used words I've never encountered before and relaxed once the waiter was gone.

"I appreciate what you've done for me, Klaus," I said, "And I'll spend the rest of my immortality paying you back,"

"Sweetheart, to be honest, you were going to be my leverage," Klaus admitted, "You would have been a valuable warning against Elena and her friends,"

"What changed your mind?" I asked.

"You," He answered, "That first night we spent together in the mansion, I was supposed to compel you but, then, I saw a spark in you,"

"But, what about you spouting all that abandonment excuse?"

"I had to do something to get you to trust me," He answered, "But, as I got to know you, I've come to see you as a friend,"

Ouch. Did I forget to mention I like Klaus? Ooh, that's a bullet to my poor, fragile heart.

"A—a friend?" I clarified. He didn't get to answer as out food arrived. We ate in silence and, when our dinner came to a close, he drove me to a park. A gazebo was in the middle of it, overlooking the river. It was a beautiful sight as the stars twinkled up in the night sky and the moon glowed so beautifully.

"So, friend huh?" I pressed.

"Why does it seem like the word bothers you?" He asks me.

"I-it doesn't!" I protested.

"That's not the word you wanted to hear, is it?" He asks me, his face getting close to mine. We stood by the railings that separates the river and the land. My back was against the iron fence, while Klaus has both his arms trapping me.

"That's ridiculous! What are—"

He didn't let me finish as he pressed his lips against mine. Our lips molded perfectly and, I swear, I was in cloud 9. He pulled away but our foreheads stayed pressed together.

"I fancy you," He admitted.

"I thought you only saw me as a friend," I teased.

"I had to say something to rile you up," He said, "Say it,"

"What if I don't want to?" I teased with a slight grin.

"I could always compel you to say it," He said, fiddling with the vervain necklace he gave me.

"That's not nice!"

"Since when was I nice, sweetheart?"

I stayed silent for a second before saying, "I like you too,"

And with that, we connected our lips once more.