The Cedarwood Tales Chapter 3

The Cedarwood Tales

Chapter 3

Kelly takes a big gulp of air. She’s in major trouble. Her mother didn’t even talk to her on the ride home. All she can keep thinking is if her mother is too angry for words. Kelly holds the book bag close to her chest, hoping her mother won’t take it away from her. She paid for it after all.

When they get home, Kelly sees her father’s car in the driveway. Uh oh. Her mother goes into the house wordlessly, and Kelly follows closely, sweating.

Her father is in the kitchen, sitting at the kitchen table, arms folded. Kelly’s mom takes a seat next to him, a sour look on her face. Kelly intakes a deep breath. Stay calm, explain it to them. Kelly recites that in her head as she takes a seat across from them.

“Would you care to tell us about your day?” her father says, coldly.

Kelly nods. “I went with Kori and Sasha to the book store a few hours from here. I’m sorry, and I know I’m keeping you two from work-“

“Don’t try to be innocent,” Mrs. Matthews snaps. “What you did was irresponsible, selfish, unsafe, cowardly-“

“How was it cowardly?” Kelly asks rudely. “You told me no a thousand times even though you knew I wanted it more than anything. I don’t ask for anything, and the one time I do, you say no. I paid for this with my own money, I drove there, I helped pay for gas. If you wanted me to be safe, you could’ve taken us!”

“Don’t talk to your mother that way,” her father warns.

Kelly narrows her eyes. “Why? I never get to do anything because she’s too afraid to ask you anything. I begged her to ask you, but she refused. You two are so controlling, but I don’t say anything. I’m turning eighteen in a few months. I can make my own decisions, especially if it’s me buying a book.”

“Well, that book got you grounded, and you’re not allowed to read it for a month,” her mom says matter-of-factly.

Kelly laughs, shaking her head. “No, you’re not taking the book away from me. I bought it, therefore it’s my property. If you want to play like that, I’ll leave.”

Kelly holds the book protectively in her hand. No way is she taking this from her. Her mother looks taken aback, and her father’s face is expressionless. Both of them are at loss to why their daughter is acting this way. To parents, they forget what it’s like to want something more than anything in the world as a teenager, so they don’t understand why kids all around the country are fighting to get this book. Kelly is one of the luckiest kids in the world to have gotten a copy, and here her parents are, trying to snatch it away from her.

Kelly feels a swell of defiance running in her veins. Confidence, fury.  She stands up, and stares her parents down. “There’s not a chance you’ll take this away from me.”

Kelly goes up the stairs to her room, and slams the door. She locks her door, and then stares at the book in her hand. They’ve ruined it for her, now she’s not in the mood to read it. Angry, she throws the book on her bed, and makes an angry noise. She kicks a pillow on the ground, and runs a hand through her blonde hair. She blinks rapidly, holding back tears. I’m not going to cry over this, Kelly says to herself, sniffing. She takes her phone out of her pocket, and sends a text to Kori and Sasha.

Did you two get in major trouble?

Less than a minute later, Kori answers back.

Nah. As I was walking out though, Sasha was getting told off.

Kelly and her mother left before Kori and her dad did. Kelly calls Kori, and she answers on the second ring.