The Cedarwood Tales Chapter 6

The Cedarwood Tales

Chapter 6

Madison can’t believe that brat did this to her. How did she get into a dungeon? Oh that’s right, she started fighting with her. Madison doesn’t even know what came over her. The only thing she knows is that she messed up, big time. The dungeon is gigantic, filled to the brim with men, women, and even children. The dungeon is so filled that people have to share a cell. Madison is currently by herself in a small confined cell because they think she’s the assassin. They don’t want her to poison other people’s minds into killing the royal family.

How far they’re off though, she’s trying to save the family. In about five seconds Madison is going to scream at the top of her lungs for help. Nobody would hear nor care though since as Madison has already stated in her head for the millionth time, she’s an assassin.

The dungeon door opens, and two knights walk in, giving some people food, while others get nothing. Madison knows she’ll be among the few who don’t get food or water. They don’t last long here, only a few days before the body shuts down. Amongst the few who didn’t get food is a young girl, her light blonde hair turning white. She’s covered in dirt, and her dress is ripped in various places as if she was in a fight. The little girl stares at Madison, her blue eyes unblinking. Madison felt a wave of uneasiness wash over her.

The little girl breaks her gaze when the two knights open Madison’s cell and grab her by the arms. “Ouch, don’t hurt me now!”

“Be quiet,” the older knight hisses, kicking her in the leg for good measure. Madison winces, already feeling a welt appearing from the blow.

They carry her up several flights of stairs until they’re back in the white marbled hallways of the castle. She wonders how they keep them so clean and polished when she sees several maids on the ground, scrubbing to their hearts content.

Madison jerks her head to the right to see what’s going on, but there wasn’t much to see. All anyone was doing was staring at her. A few more seconds go by before the knights knock on a door. “Come in.”

Madison and the two knights make their way through the door, and then in front of them are the king and a few more knights. Madison is forced into a seat across from the king, the two knights on either side of Madison, waiting for her to act out.

“Tell me, who is your leader?”

“I’m not the assassin. I’m here to take your kids to safety-“

“Lies!” the king roars, causing Madison’s ears to ring. She winces, and then tries to get words out before the king can sentence her to death. “Please, you must believe me. That woman, the one with the brown hair I was fighting with, she is the one who is the assassin. I’ve come to banish her!”

The king stares at Madison for a long moment. “What is your name?”

“Madison Carl. Sire, please believe me, I would never wish harm on your family. Let me explain everything to you, please, just bring the brown haired girl here so you can see she’s the betrayer, not I, sir.”

“Bring me my daughters’ friend. We must get to the bottom of this rather now than later. I’m sure my dear Lily would know if her friend was the assassin or not.”

 “Right away sire,” one of his knights says, and then rushes out of the door. A few moments later, the brown haired girl appears, alongside Lily, who looks outraged.

“Father! How could you even think Rose would do such a thing?” Lily gasps, her eyes filled with horror and disappointment.

Rose, the brown haired girl, looks at Madison, her expression unreadable. Madison feels guilt rise in her, but Madison would rather live than have this girl live. Madison’s not ready to die, not without a fight.