After Dean had brought in all of the bags and had me recite the rules, he and Sam left the motel. I laid on the couch on my back, staring up at the ceiling for a few minutes. I was bored, so I decided to go dig in my bag for one of the history books Dean had gotten me a while back. I picked the one on World War II, settling back on the couch, this time on my stomach as I reread the book.

The two came back that night, Sam had gone straight to his laptop while Dean glanced over the back of the couch to see what I was doing. Sam typed for a few moments, "Well, you were right. Heh. It wasn't very easy to find but you were right. Shtriga is a kind of witch. They're Albanian, but legends about them trace back to Ancient Rome. They feed off spiritus vitae," Sam read from whatever website he was on. Dean looked away from me, "Spiri-what?" Dea  questioned, walking over to Sam. "Vitae. It's Latin, translates to 'breath of life'. Kinda like your life force or essence," that was a weird word. Vitae. "Didn't the doctor say the kids' bodies were wearing out?" And there went my interest in the conversation. I put my bookmark into the book and rolled of the couch, placing it onto the table. "It's a thought. you know she takes your vitality maybe your immunity goes to hell, pneumonia takes hold. Anyway, shtrigas can feed off anyone but they prefer..." Sam trailed off, I could feel him looking at me as I walked over to Dean and tugged on his sleeve, "Can I have a dollar?" I requested. Dean pulled out his wallet, "For what?" he asked as he handed me the dollar. "I want to get a drink from the vending machine," I told him as I took the dollar. "Come straight back," Dean ordered before he went back to his conversation with Sam as I walked out the door, closing it quietly behind myself. I could faintly hear their conversation start up again before I made my way to the vending machine. It was near the lobby area. I didn't even get halfway there when I heard, "What are you doing out here by yourself?" I looked over, it was a man. I felt instantaneous distrust for him. "Getting a drink," I told him cautiously, taking a step back towards the motel room. "You won't need that," he told me as he took a step towards me. I looked back up at his face, it was turning pale. Really pale, "Dean!" was all I got out before his hands grew long, resting on my head. That was the last thing I remembered from that night.

This was... different. I sat up, I was in a field. It didn't look right though, everything was dull and gray. There were a few other kids here too, just standing around and staring at the ground. It was silent here too... The kids were all really pale, dark circles under their eyes. I stood up and looked at my hands, I wasn't as pale as they were, but I could see that would change. Standing up felt like I ran around a lot. I could see why they were just standing there, staring at nothing. Walking or talking probably felt like running a marathon. So I joined them, but I stared at the dull, cloudless sky instead of the ground. Dean would save me. He would save all of us.

I woke up still feeling weak, where was I? I opened my eyes and turned my head, one of the kids from the field was in a bed next to me, looking confused. I turned my head to the other side to see a metal stand holding an IV bag, so I was in a hospital. How did I get to a hospital? I heard a couple people run into the room, a few nurses appeared beside the other kids. Where were Sam and Dean? I wanted Dean. A nurse walked over to me and helped me sit up, "Can you tell me your name?" she requested as she moved the pillows to help prop me up. "Chris," I told her shortly, looking around the room. "Do you know what happened?" she asked, sitting on the side of my bed. I shook my head, I wanted Dean. The nurse continued to ask questions about how I felt and if I remembered anything for a few minutes until she and the other nurses left. It was almost four in the morning according to them. The other kids looked so tired, they had already fallen back asleep. I stayed up and stared at the window, Dean would be here in a couple of hours at least.

I had stared out the window for two hours and then proceeded started to stare at the door for another hour. I saw Sam, Dean, the woman from the motel, and her son practically run around the corner. "Chris," was the first thing out of Dean's mouth when he got into the room. He and Sam came to me and the other two went to a sleeping boy in the corner. "Chris what happened?" Dean asked, using his leg to pull up a chair from behind him. Sam perched on the foot of the bed. "I went to get a drink from the vending machine and a monster touched me," I informed, reaching out with my hand to touch his head like the creature had done to me. "And then I was in a gray field with them," I added looking around the room at the other kids. Sam took out a piece of paper from his pocket, "Was it him?" I nodded my head, it was a picture of a man dressed up like a doctor. "That son of a bitch," Dean muttered venomously. Dean dug into his own jacket pocket and produced Sylvester, which I took. A few more people were coming into the room, parents of the other kids. "I want to leave," I told Dean, looking up at him. He looked at Sam and nodded his head to the door, "We'll get you the hell outta dodge soon short stuff," he assured me as Sam walked out of the room, probably to find a nurse. We were in the car leaving town half an hour later.