chapter 3

Nexxus’ POV;

I was so close…she was right there …and I lost her.  Kham... I was right there, I almost had her. I can still see her little human hand reaching out for me to save her. I was so close. I almost had her…but that beast, Zino De Gloren, had to kick me up to that accursed electric spike. I can still feel it going through me. The sharp pain and the blood that spilled forth... He made me too weak to go after the human who I so long to protect. I’ll….I’ll kill him for what he’s done this time. That monster has influenced my life too much as it is and now he’s taken one of the two things actually precious to me and I will get her back if it’s the last thing I do with my miserable life. I cannot let Alana’s fate stay in the hands of that abomination!

I open my eyes. I’m back in my own apartments it would seem. I can’t move my left arm at all it feels like and with my other hand I can feel the slight pucker marks of stitches on my side. I must look like quite the sight. This is utter complete misery. Here I am resting in a bed while my Alana is in the hands of a brute and could very well me dead for all I know! I know this creature to be a vile assassin who can and will do anything to get what and who he wants. Why he took Alana is unknown to me.  He knows that the Delraths enslave species all the time, why would he want a human? What could be possible stand to gain by kidnapping a human?

“Master, you are awake?” I hear Luda say as she opened the door.  She walked into the room, heading toward a table and waiting for me to answer her, I suppose.

“Yes, how long have I been asleep Luda?” Please not be days, anything but days. If I’ve been out for days that means that Alana’s tracks would have gone cold by now and it would be even harder to find her.

“Five point four hours” Luda relayed from the desk. Thank god. That meant we could still track the pod he probably used and follow the beasts tracks and I will get my Alana back. That’s all I want to do. I want her out of the hands of that monster. Even if she doesn’t come back with me, I don’t want her to be subjected to De Gloren for the rest of her life. It would be unfair to her. There’s no easy choice in this, I know there is a selfish way and the right way. I’ve always considered myself to walk the right way. I will free Alana and I will restore her freedom to her at all costs. “Master, if I may ask” Luda turned to me, taking a seat and blinking curiously. I’m glad she’s developing a personality, curiosity is a good trait to first develop “Who was that strange creature who took Alana? He’s unlike anything in the databanks that I’ve come across.”

She must have been listening to other Delraths conversations and found out. I can’t find any signs of sorrow; she must have yet to develop that emotion. “That was a Hessassition, a species built for war. Eons ago they used the Delrath people as slaves, until we revolted and became our own nation. This particular one is the reason the Captain and I came into power over our people.” I spat bitterly. I’m doomed to feel utterly helpless forever aren’t I? I can’t stand up to my brother and I couldn’t protect Alana from this monster who threw my life into utter chaos. Alana my dear, I’m so sorry.

I promise I’d go into the gate of the human’s hell if it meant keeping you eternally safe. Why I want you safe I have no idea. I’m not supposed to care about you, let alone any human or even Luda. I feel nothing for the other slaves aside from guilt because they don’t even have themselves anymore. They’re zombies, lifeless, without souls. Alana I’m so sorry I could not save the others. I will save you no matter what. That I promise.

“How is that so Master Nexxus?” Luda questioned again.

“Luda, he was alive years ago, when I was still rather young. He murdered the Captain before Thrask because he’d made many enemies.  De Gloren was the one who ended my father.”