Chapter Ten: Home

Start from the beginning

I began to take my long trek to English class. Why was our school campus so freaking huge? And don't even get me started on how English was on the third floor. I could practically feel my thighs burning already. As I started up the dreaded stairs, I tripped over my own feet like the genius I was. I flailed my arms in circular motions like a maniac, trying to keep my balance. Of course, that never worked and our school's brilliant architect didn't bother making a handrail in the middle of the wide staircase. So I just kept falling from tripping over my own feet. Great.

But, as it occurred so often in romance novels, a pair of strong arms caught me from my underarms and a familiar scent wafted through my nose. God, how I missed him.

No, no, no! Snap out of it, Kaylee. He crossed boundaries and you can't put myself in that situation again. You are not a cheater.

I pushed myself from him rather roughly, releasing myself from his grasp. Murmuring a brief "thanks", I quickly rushed up the stairs. I knew he wasn't going to let me go that easily though, since I heard his heavy footsteps behind me. He grabbed my wrist in attempt to stop me from running away. Hurt flashed across his face as I flinched at his touch. I ripped my arm out of his tight grip a bit wildly, almost losing my balance in the process.

"Whoa, easy there tiger," he chuckled.

"Screw off Dylan," I hissed. I didn't want to be near him and put myself into that kind of temptation.

"Look, Kay, will you just hear me out please?" he continued without my consent. "I'm sorry for trying that on you. It was wrong and I was just caught up in the spur of the moment. I miss you and I miss hanging out with you. I don't want years of friendship to be thrown away just because I was a bonehead, okay?"

I couldn't help but chuckle at the last part, but I quickly composed myself. He wasn't gonna be let off the hook that easily.

"Look, Dylan. It's not just that you tried something, it's that you thought I'd give into it - that shows exactly how highly you think of me, which clearly is really low," I spat. "I don't want to hang out with you anymore and I can't. I don't know how I can get you to stop trying, but seriously, leave me alone."

I turned on my heel and walked to English class, which I was now ten minutes late for. I wasn't concerned about that, though. The only things on my mind when I walked in were Dylan's last words as he yelled for me down the hallway.

"You can't get me to stop trying because I never will," he said. "I'm not the kind of guy or friend that's just here for a few years. I'm with you till the end and I will fix things with us. You'll see."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Before driving to Ryan's house, I decided that I should confront him about our relationship and his behavior lately. Things didn't feel right and I wanted to fix that. It was time to salvage this crumbling relationship.

When I knocked on one of his two french doors that evening, he readily greeted me with a smile on his face, green eyes twinkling with happiness. Dang, he was so charming and attractive.

Focus, Kaylee. You can't think like this when you talk to him about his behavior lately. Focus!

We made our way to his room, walking through his huge house. I don't even think "huge house" is the correct term to convey the size of his home. I'd say it's a freaking mansion. It was kind of unnerving to me, seeing that I've grown up my whole life in a modest, suburban home - I could never really feel comfortable here. Everything seemed so fragile and precious, like I'd destroy it if I touched it.