Chapter 12

How could she be so foolish? How dare her heart act so young, naive and careless. How dare it beat at the sight of him. Of all the swines he was the one that most resembled a pig. With his bulging stomach, heated pinkish skin and thin hair.

He was nor young or handsome. Not tall or strong. He was a coward, hardly able to speak more than a few words in her presence. And yet, every stuttered word made her swoon. His awkward movement she found cute. And if only to herself, Monica admits she quite liked his stomach.

She had already told herself that if he asked. If he found the courage to approach her in the brothel like so many did, and request what numerous have. She'd give him what none other have had.

But he wouldn't she knew, he was too stupidly shy, only interested in feeding her pastries and speaking of foreign lands and followers that blow in winter.

He would never court her, why should he? How could he? She was a freed mate turned brothel woman. Even if he wasn't a man of honor, lacking in looks, health, and intelligence. He still had pride. Or so the caretaker assumed. But as he looked into her eyes, her hands in his and a nervous smile on his face. He awaits a response, he'd asked her to see the nightshades glow under the light of the full moon.

They were in the brothel, sitting between two table that was filled with patriots. Knights and madames that thought little of him and nothing of her. He could have pulled her aside for the sake of saving face and kept his pride.

Monica smiles. He was truly a swine!

Her lips parted to accept his invitation, her eyes leaving his in a teasing matter as she played coy But in her act she accidentally catching a familiar figure. She stood and without a thought to the crush that sat surprise, she left. All but running towards the front desk while taking care to remain out of sight of the men in silver that once worked over her deceased husband.

Another senior was working the desk and a junior had just left to fetch Genie as they proved to be new to the establishment.

"We are not here for your services." One of the commanders of the royal guard spoke. His voice as demanding and commanding as she remembered.

"This is a decree from the king! This establishment house a few male omegas. We wish to verify their identity" He spoke loudly catching the ears of a few clientele. Some stood and approach in curiosity, other fled the brothel with their heads low.

"May I ask the reason?" The woman, Laila, at the desk questioned.

"You may not" Came the rough replay. She stared, the growing crowd began to mutter, their combined voices forming a roar. A squire approaches the commander and whispered into his ear.

"Very well," The high knight voiced and turned to look his nose down at Laila. "We seek the lost prince" He declared in a loud voice, silencing the roaring patriots. "Until he is found, all male omegas are to be verified, does who fit the description will be taken to the palace until further notice" There were whispers once again while Laila hurriedly open and read through the decree she was handed. 

Monica, who stood hidden out of sight but not out of ears reach was grateful that of all people that could be working the desk today, it was Laila for she who knew how to read.

"Dark eyes, hair, and skin, short, thin." The older woman read out, her voice all but drown under the growing whispers of the crowd. "Half our lads fit this description." She says, needing to shout in other to be heard.

"How will they return from the grand center?" She stressed. "Will they be allowed time to take a few garments and coins?"

The commander says nothing and simply waves a hand. Instantly knights cut through the crowd, invading the Oasis Rouge at their leaders' command.