Chapter 12

When we got home Pony held the door open for me. Soda pushed him out of the way and kissed Kara as she walked in behind me. She was so happy. And that made me happy. We changed and were laying on my bed. Kara was still grinning from ear to ear.

"Kara what am I doing?"

"Falling."

"What do you mean?"

"Your falling for them. Worrying that if you choose one you'll regret it. Trust me Bethy. You'll choose the right one."
"Happy birthday Karebear." I said then fell asleep.

I remembered to wake up early so me and the boys could get ready for the party. I got dressed and went into the living room and sat on the couch waiting for Ponyboy to come pick me up. After about five minutes Pony knocked on the door.

"Hey! Hows it going?" He whispered at me.

"Im good." We started walking back to the Curtis's house.

"Pony I have to tell you something..."

"Yeah?"

"Well... um... its just that-" I started but he cut me off.

"Its okay. I understand. You didnt fall for me but you fell for one of them. Its okay," he said looking at me understandingly.

"Im sorry." I said not knowing how to react and feeling shocked frankly.. Ponyboy never puts two and two together... And that made me feel worse..

"Its okay. I just want you to be happy. Im gonna have to be one of your best friends though. Just to give you the heads up." He said with a smile. I laughed and he put his arm around my shoulders and we walked.

When we got to the Curtis's house everyone was getting ready. Soda looked especially nice. There was purple and zebra print everywhere. Dang Kara was gonna love this. When we walked in Twoie and Johnny looked a little confused that Pony and I where together. Gosh. This was going to be harder than I thought. I walked over and adjusted Soda's tie and started to help Dally hang streamers from the cabinets in the kitchen all the way into the living room. I told my mom to call the house when Kara woke up so I could go get her. I was really excited.

"Hey Twoie!" I said walking toward him.

"Hey!"

"Whats going on with Soda?"

"I dont know. I think hes got somethin planned. Ive never seen him go this crazy over a girl before." I smiled she was going to be soo happy.

"Two-Bit. Take Beth to go get the cake!" Darry commanded.

There was the song again. We got in his big old truck and headed for the bakery. "Gold since the day I saw you, I have been waiting for you" the song played in my head.

"Twoie, I need to tell you something... "

"Yeah?"

"I think I love Johnny but I also like you." He pulled over and put the car in park and looked at me.

"Choose Johnny."

"But what if I want to choose you?"

"Trust me. I can tell you arent." He kissed me and whispered in my ear. "I still and will love you." He smiled and started the truck again. I was so confused. But I pushed my problems aside when we got to the bakery. Twoie walked up to the counter and said, "Cake for Curtis".

The lady went to the back leaving me and Twoie alone. I wanted to cry. He must have known because he pushed a piece of my red hair behind my ear and hugged me tight. "Its okay."

The lady came back with a huge box and handed to him. We walked out to the truck and I opened the back door for him to put the cake in. After he put it in he moved over and shut the door and opened the door in front for me. I slid in and watched him run around the front of the truck and his smile faded.

When we got back to the Curtis's and brought the cake in Soda opened the box and set it down on the counter. "Its perfect." He said. He stepped out of the way and I got a closer look. It was a five teared topsie-turvie cake. It was purple and sparkled in the light with pink bows every where.

"What kind its it?"

"Its marble so it looks zebra" Soda said proudly. The phone rang. I answered it.

"Curtis's"

"The hen has left the nest!" My mom said whispering.

"Ok. We'll be over in a second."

"Guys she's up!" We all stood back to see. It was great. If there was a Kara museum this is what it would be like. Streamers everywhere, an amazing cake, candy bowls, every soda you could imagine (yes... even Soda), music played softly in the background, there where twinkling white christmas lights draped over everything. It was real pretty.