Chapter 2

I was walking for about five minutes when I heard footsteps. I turned around and no one was around me. Weird.. I walked a little farther into the trees. Then a twig snapped behind me... I knew for sure then, someone was behind me. You see, back home, we all knew how to fight... At least the boys did. Luckily, Kara and I loved Paul Newman. Especially Cool Hand Luke, so I picked up on a little fighting from that and from who I grew up around most of my life...

I paused for a couple seconds then spun around shooting my right fist as hard as I could into the guys stomach. He let out an airy "Jeez" and fell to the ground. I squared my shoulders and put my hands up blocking my face waiting for him to get up and fight back, but he didn't.

"You've got a good right hook!" He said laying on the ground still.

"Who are you?" I see now that he was about 15 or 16 and if I do say so myself.. he was pretty cute.

"I'm Johnny. Hey." He said grinning and holding out his hand for me to shake.

"Hi... Sorry.." I said taking his hand and pulling him off the ground.

He was about an inch taller than me and had huge dark eyes like a dog's. I was so embarrassed that all I could manage was to look down at my beat up, hand-me-down, red Chuck Taylors. I looked across at his shoes. They looked in the same condition mine were except in a worn black.

"You're not from here are you?" He asked trying to catch my eye.

"No." I said still looking at our shoes.

"Where are you from then?"

"Around New York..."

"Where'd you learn to fight? And why are you out here?"

"Paul Newman. I just moved here like two hours ago and decided to look around a bit." I looked up at him this time. Gosh was he cute.

"You wanna meet some friends of mine?"

"I guess?" I said a little hesitantly.

"Come on!" He said wrapping his arm around my shoulders. All that flashed through my head was the spark I felt at his touch.