Chapter 43

Amalia's POV

Lying on the couch, thinking about where they all were. What were they doing? Are they there yet? Have they entered the residence? Are they fighting?

I got off the couch, and start pacing around the room. I felt sick at the thought of them being hurt, especially Grayson. I never worried about him this much before. He could always take care of himself. I somehow knew deep down, that whatever he faced, he had survived much worse. But this was different now, Grayson's my mate and I love him, and no matter how smart, or strong, they were, you would always worry.

I threw myself back down on the couch.

I could hear Maybel moving about upstairs. I thought it was pretty sexist that I was locked in the house with everyone out, but then I reminded myself about what Reynard said. I had trained for a day and been a werewolf for a couple of days. I was not going to be able to be any kind of help other than a liability.

Then I heard screaming.

Then nothing.

I looked upstairs.

I sent a text to Connor, who was running a patrol around the area. 'Maybel just screamed upstairs.'

'Stay hidden. We are coming.'

I thought about hiding, but they should be here soon.

I crept upstairs.

Maybel was lying face down on the floor, in a pool of her own blood.

'You're supposed to love your mates.'

I spun round at the voice.

John Vincent was leaning against the bookshelves, a curved knife in his hands, covered in blood.

'But god, she was such an annoying bitch.'

'What have you done?'

He grinned.

'What no other werewolf could have done. I knew things were a mess, but then Eric kidnapped yhou, and I knew it was broken. Mating with humans. If it worked, it would dirty our race. Dirty it.'

'You were supposed to die that day. But who would have thought? Grayson? Grayson would be your saviour. And your mate. The moon goddess. She does work in the most mysterious of ways.'

'Whatever you think? Whatever you have done? There is still a way out of this?'

'No, there isn't. We thought we survived the witch hunts in Europe, in the colonies, but this is not surviving. Hiding in the woods, while the Humans take over, destroying everything in their path. They think we are the monsters ripping into flesh, when they consume everything and never stop to think.'

I won't let it happen.

'Is it you? Are you the reason that this has happened, the packs?'

'They were mixed. They didn't complete raptio. Didn't have to. They've been reproducing with humans for years. They betrayed us. Risked the entire species.'

'They deserved it.'

'And what about this pack? Hmm.'

'They deserve it too.'

The packs too big, to kill every single werewolf. So why not separate them, and then kill their lovely families sitting in their homes, waiting for their return from war? Only that, when the soldiers return, their families are dead, and their homes burnt to ashes.'

Vincent lunged at me with the knife. I screamed and dived out of the way, tripping over Maybel's lifeless corpse. He was at the door, trapping me in the room.