'If was being honest. I'd say that the Haven pack were filled with Alphas, and Maya is the Super-Alpha,' said Nathan, his arms folded across his chest.

'But what if that is true?' piped Reynard.

'Meaning,' Nathan was frowning.

'What if the members of the pack are former Alphas? Leaders of  packs, covens, legions or denizens? 

'It would explain how they are so powerful!' said Nathan.

'But then, how does that help. Haven't the council already tried to track down different packs to see if they hailed from there.' I said. If they're were missing or desposed leaders across the country, then surely it would have flagged up somewhere.

'Maybe the packs don't remember.' Reynard shrugged. 'Maybe the Haven returned and commanded them to never speak of them.'

'I'll follow that up with Caine,' Nathan said, dialling a phone and pressing it to his ear.

'This could work,' I said, grabbing some log books and began to go through them. 

'I'll get a map. First reported sighting of Maya. Here?' Reynard pointed to Anchorage, Alaska.

'What was she doing there?'

'Jeremy? He's her second in command, the more obvious choice if he knew her longer than the rest?'

'Maybe. Jeremy's first reported sighting was in Washington State. Thats not too far from Alaska.'

'So Maya and Jeremy are from Alaska,' I said looking over a list.

'Alot of the werewolf packs are recent. Four packs from Europe. Two from Siberia.' Reynard said, sticking bits of coloured tape on to each point. 

The Alaskan peninsula was one of the last places in the Americas where the Natives lived, having been generally uninterrupted. I could guarantee there would be skin-walkers too.

'What's Jeremy's lineage?'

'Believed to be half native? Why?'

I put my head in my hands. Did the council know? If they didn't, how did we miss this all these years? 'Jeremy's a skin-walker, not a werewolf.'

Reynard gasped, but then frowned. 

'So a skinwalker and a werewolf walk into a bar?' 

'This isn't the time for jokes, Reynard'

'I'm not joking. A skinwalker and a werewolf walk into a bar? In Anchorage, Alaska, before heading south towards Washington State.'

Reynard quickly logged onto the computer and began typing furiously. 

The bar is called 'House of Lilies'. Fancy? Oh wait.

The bar was closed down, several years ago. The owner was a Jeremy. 

'Get his record up,'

'On it,' 

'Shit, 

'What?'

'It's gone. Theres no record. No birth, marriage, death certificate.' Reynard began furiously typing, before he slammed his hand on the keyboard. 'There isn't even a high school diploma.'

'Come on, look closer. Something that could be missed, something they wouldn't think to conceal?

Nathan came back, clicking the phone off. 'Caine said he had difficulty with some Alaskan packs. Which is to be expected.'

'How so?' Reynard asked. 

'They don't like the interference, espiecially since the Council is a european colonial institution.'