Chapter One

I had forgotten what these marble walls and crystal lights looked like. It's been so long since I've stepped foot in these corridors and glanced at the stoic portraits on the walls.

The edges of my vision are black and everything else is blurry. I can't breathe.

The last time I was here, I remember being a friend to the family. But now we are strangers, and I am a guest. We are all guests.

Voices echo my name as they try to get my attention, but the outline of one of my friends keeps swaying, making my stomach toss.

I tripped over my own two feet as a familiar hand grabbed mine and spun me under his arm into a graceful twirl. Large hazel eyes gaze at me, and for a moment, I think he might kiss me.

But he doesn't.

"Mave!"

"Ah!" I can finally catch my breath and sit up sharply, grasping onto anything to hold my balance—which happens to be Catalina and Lucy, my two closest friends.

"This is the third time you've blacked out this week. The 'I'm okay' is starting to look like 'I need a doctor'," Catalina scolds.

As they try to help me to my feet, I bat at their hands. "I'm fine. I'm fine." I dust off the solid white tutu that I've tried to keep spotless since we left the makeshift dressing room five minutes ago.

"Mave, these are getting ridiculous. What if you pass out onstage?" Catalina asks.

I shake my head. "I won't. Never have, never will."

Lucy nervously twines her fingers together. "What if you start?"

I glare at her. "Don't jinx it!" I roll my shoulders back and let out a long sigh. "I'll be fine. Did anyone else see?"

Lucy shakes her head. "Just us. Everyone else is backstage already." Her green eyes round. "We're going to be late for Act Two!"

I roll my eyes. "I don't come on for quite a while in Act Two, but you two need to book it."

They give me one last look of uncertainty before they take off down the corridor towards the stage doors, their pointe shoes clacking on the marble floor.

******

I've only been a part of New Athens Royal Ballet for a month, having auditioned directly after graduating high school. It was either be in the ballet company or a different career that requires me to continue combat training. I was never any good at combat like my parents, but I was always good at dancing. I'm clumsy, sure, but my body can carry a tune.

I always thought that made sense, too.

Mom always told me to not get my hopes up when joining the company—that I'd be in the corps for a few years before becoming a soloist... if I became a soloist at all.

Well, she was very wrong.

The directors like me, I guess. After the company auditions, we auditioned for our general roles in the company because a large group of the older dancers were "retiring". I became the principal dancer, much to everyone's surprise. And resentment.

Ruth and I used to be decent friends in the studio growing up, but after we got our company roles, the loathing began. I felt like she was always trying to degrade me but make it appear as if she's joking around. She's cruel, though.

Our first ballet performance of the season is Giselle. And with this first performance, according to the directors, we perform at the summer palace for all the important people. When I told Mom and Dad this, they weren't too thrilled. I have vague memories of being here long ago, but my parents never told me the real reason we stopped coming around. They claim it's because of my baby sister being "high maintenance" but that's a lie.