Chapter Eight

On 6/12/18 I changed the length of all the chapters to be more effective in reading and interest. If you don't know where you left off, message me where you were in the storyline and I will let you know what chapter to start back at. Sorry for the trouble:)

***

"Mel, are you okay?" Mason's words snapped me out of my daze.

"Yeah. I'm sorry, I couldn't stop him," I lied. I didn't regret it at all.

"Why did you shoot him?" he asked me, looking into my eyes.

"He ran into me when he came around the corner and we both fell to the ground. I dropped my gun. He hit me in the head with his gun, then ran off," I explained, hoping I sounded convincing. "I was too dazed to stand and go after him."

He nodded, looking back up at my wound. "It's okay. You should probably get that checked out though. I can't tell how deep it is." I went ahead and nodded, knowing it would be suspicious if I disagreed.

My dad, Vincent, and Adrien decided to take that moment to come around the corner. They looked at me and took in the situation. "He got away?" my dad asked. Sighing, I nodded, knowing he was going to get mad.

"Why didn't you shoot him? I gave you a gun for a reason."

"He hit me in the head. I was seeing two of him—I would have missed," I defended myself immediately.

"You could have tried, Melody!" I looked down, trying to keep myself from saying something that could get me in trouble.

"Did he take anything?" Mason asked them.

"No," Vincent confirmed.

I looked up. "Are you sure?"

"Yes, Melody, we are sure," Xavier snapped. "I looked through my whole office. Everything is there."

I furrowed my eyebrows. He was lying. It was either that, or Dean was lying. Although, I had a feeling it was my first guess.

"Adrien, send soldiers to the border to look for the criminal and make sure the building is secure," my father ordered. Mason's father nodded and immediately left to do so. "Mason, take Melody to the in-building nurse, then let everyone know that it is safe for everyone to re-enter the building if you father says the building is secure."

Nodding, Mason helped me to my feet. He walked with me downstairs to the nurse's office in silence then left to complete my dad's order without a word.

I sat on the plastic bed quietly as the nurse examined my head. "Is it deep?" I asked her.

She shook her head with a soft smile. "Not at all," she assured me. "There's a small cut, but I think the bruise will be a bigger aggravation or you." After some ointment, she placed a white butterfly closer on the wound. "You're lucky. It seems as though the guy didn't use a lot of strength. Looks like he didn't want to do any serious damage—whoever he was."

Exhaling, I nodded. "Good." I knew Dean didn't want to hurt me, so her words didn't come as a surprise. Although I barely knew him—I trusted him.

After leaving the nurse's office, I ran into Roman in the hallway. "Where have you been all day?" I asked, thankful I finally found him.

He shrugged with his usual bright smile whenever he saw me. "A little bit of everywhere," he said, glancing up at my head. "Are you okay? I heard what happened."