Chapter 4

A few days later, Sunday in fact, Caitlin was opening up shop when her first customer came in. However, he wasn't actually a customer. It was Barry. And for the first time in her life but certainly not the last, Caitlin saw Barry in his regular clothes rather than his police uniform.

He was just wearing a blue sweater and jeans with sneakers on his feet but Caitlin thought that he looked nice that way. It was him feel more like everyone else rather than a police officer. It was nice to see him unbound and it made her feel more attracted to him. Sure she certainly liked seeing him in his uniform but she also loved seeing the person underneath it.

"Morning, Caitlin, just thought that I would come to check on you. I know that it's Sunday and it's my day off but I just thought that I would see how you are doing after what happened the other day," he greeted as he walked in and moved towards the front desk where she was standing.

"Oh, well that's sweet of you. Especially on your day off, you don't have to do that for me. You should be having fun, catching up with your friends or something," she replied but was secretly glad and overjoyed that he had decided to find and visit her. It made her feel that less lonely.

"Oh, it's nothing besides I think spending time with you us one of my new favourite ways of fun. I was wondering whether you might want to do something with me in town today. I mean, you don't have to or anything and I know that you have to look after your shop and all so you don't have to it was just an idea..." Barry rambled awkwardly, waving his hands around his face almost insanely. However, Caitlin found it tremendously cute how he was so nervous about talking to her.

"Barry, I would love to come out with you. Mindy can take care of the shop for a little while, I'm sure. So where do you want to go?" She smiled I  response, coming out of the desk to come to talk to him more personally.

"Oh... you do want to come. I was sure that you were going to say no so I didn't think about that part. But you know this area best so maybe you could show me around," he suggested.

"Great idea, come on. I will show you all of my favourite places. It's a nice area so I am sure that you will fall in love with it just as I have," she agreed, reaching out to take his hand.

They smiled at each other dreamily got a moment, their eyes fixed on each other. Their hearts were in this one hundred percent and this sort of acted like their unofficial first date. They hadn't asked whether it was a date and neither of them planned to ask. For now, it was better unspoken.

First Caitlin led him out of the shop and to the bakery next door. It was Italian and the baked goods made where simply delicious and intended to get him to try her overall favourite.

"I get fresh loaves of bread here every day during my lunch break. The bread is amazing and they make a lot of different types and they also make cakes and biscuits and all sorts of wonderful baked goods. But my all time favourite is their chocolate eclairs. They are to die for. You should try one, it's on me,"

She walked up to the counter and began a short conversation with Mrs Bianchi who was on the till whilst her husband was baking a fresh batch of bread in the back. Barry felt his heart warm as he looked at her so happy and full of life. She was so animated when she was talking to her fellow store vendors and although he had never seen her interact with anybody else, he got the impression that she wasn't like this with everybody.

A minute later, he had a very delicious looking chocolate eclairs in his hand, beaming as he watched Caitlin tuck in to her own eclair. It was a beautiful sight and only endeared him to her more. He took a bite and instantly his eyes went wide when he realised how good it tasted.

"I told you they are delicious!" She beamed, taking his hand and dragging him out of the shop as he continued to gobble up the tasty treat. Next on her tour was Madison's florists where she was having an appointment with a bride to be. Caitlin told him all about her favourite flowers and how they smelt beautiful. She also told him all about how Madison had very cleverly made some of them into her own perfumes which she regularly used.