A Close Encounter

Clara's POV

“Consignment of empty barrels from the Woodland Realm. Only, they’re not empty, are they, Bard?” the same angry voice continued. “If I recall correctly, you’re licensed as a bargeman, not a fisherman.”

My heart sank. We were so close to getting through the gate without a hassel. What would happen to the dwarves if we were found out? I knew what my fate would hold.

 “That’s none of your business.” bard replied angrily.

“Wrong. It’s the Master’s business, which makes it my business.” the angry voice said. It was high pitched and nasally, as if the speaker were holding their nose in disgust while speaking.

“Oh come on, Alfrid, have a heart. People need to eat!” bard reasoned.

“These fish are illegal.” the nasally voice spoke again - it seemed to belong to a man named alfrid. A small splash followed these words. “Empty the barrels over the side.” alfrid commanded.

“You heard him. Into the canal. Come on, get a move on.” a new voice commanded.

Louder splashes soon began to follow. My heart was racing, if they dumped the fish we were sure to be discovered. I felt my barrel begin to move as someone went to dump my fish.

Bard jumped into action quickly. “Folk in this town are struggling. Times are hard. Food is scarce.” he reasoned.

“That’s not my problem.” the nasally voice retorted.

“And when the people hear the Master is dumping fish back in the lake, when the rioting starts, will it be your problem then?” bard replied in a threatening tone.

My barrel began to tip more and fish began to fall from it. I allowed my nails to transform into claws and dug them into the sides of my barrel as to not fall with the fish.

“Stop.” alfrid commanded.

My barrel returned to it's upright position. There were barely enough fish left to cover me.

“Ever the people’s champion, eh, Bard? Protector of the common folk? You might have their favor now, bargeman, but it won’t last." The nasally voice replied, clearly angry.

After a moment of silence the original voice of the gateman returned. “Raise the gate!” it commanded.

We were in.