The Meeting

Kili' s POV

Her deep brown eyes met mine for a moment before she tried to quickly sit up and back away. Her features distorted with pain and she leaned back against the wall of her cell, one arm draped accross her torso.

"Don't move" I said hurriedly "you're obviously hurt"

She looked at me wearily, a mix of fear and annoyance. She didn't speak, but continued to breathe heavily. Her eyes darted between me and her cell door.

"What's your name?" I asked quietly.

More silence.

"I'm Kili" I told her, giving her a light smile.

After a moments pause she responded. Her voice was raspy and quiet, as if she hadn't used it in a long time. "Clara" she replied simply.

I smiled slightly wider at her "so you can speak" I laughed lightly.

She nodded in response.

"What happened to you?" I asked more seriously.

She averted her gaze, instead staring at the floor of her cell. After a moment of silence she once again began to speak. "Another one of the King's parties"

"A party?" I asked in confusion "why would something like this happen at a party?" I asked.

She refused to meet my gaze, and this time did not speak. Although I did not understand what she was saying, I decided not to push her any more. It was clear she was very upset.

"You should rest" I told her.

Once again her weary eyes met mine. Her look was calculating, as if she was trying to figure out what I wanted from her.

I tried to smile at her reassuringly, but she turned her back to me and laid down in her cell. It seemed she was taking my advice and getting some rest.

I decided to do the same. As I tried to get comfortable in my cell, thoughts of the girl in the cell next to mine clouded my mind. Who was this mysterious girl? Why did thranduil have her locked in his dungeons? And what had happened to her?

My eyelids grew heavy as I drifted off to sleep yet again.