Forgive me

As I slept, I didn't know Zane had got into my room and crawled into bed with me. I opened my eyes and stared at him.

I reached over and gently rubbed his cheek before hauling off and smacking him.

"What the hell, Goldie?!" He awoke startled.

I got out of bed, "no. You don't get to come in here and act like I forgive you. You hurt me Zane. I get you don't want people to see your writing because it's personal, but that poem fell out when I got a piece of paper."

He looked at me.

"Contrary to popular belief, not everyone is out to hurt you."

I stood there. I didn't know whether we would get past this or not, then Zane left. I guess not.

A few minutes later he returned and in his hand, he held a notebook. He held it out to me.

"Here."

"Zane."

"No," he shook his head. "Goldie, if anyone deserves to read it, it's you."

I took the notebook and took a seat. I sat down, opened it, and started reading.

Her smile is bright as the sun,
She lights up a room when she enters.
A thousand butterflies float around,
Signaling the beauty within.
She radiates love, a glow so fulfilling.
I stand by her to capture a tiny amount,
Of love and happiness.
For she is genuine with her imperfect flaws,
For love is flawed, but she is perfect in her own right.

As I read through each poem, each, he wrote beautifully. Zane had a way with words. I never knew he was this talented.

I read through most of it then handed it back to him. He took it from me.

"You don't want to finish reading?"

"No. Because I read enough, enough to know how beautiful your words are and how talented you are," I said to Zane.

He walked over and took a seat next to me.

"I guess I was afraid if people read what I wrote they would....." He trailed off.

"Laugh at you?"

He looked at me.

"The way I see it if people are that harsh and cruel, then they don't get it. You never destroy someone's dreams or talents because you're selfish and more absorbed with your own. Nobody is perfect, and anyone that thinks so is sadly mistaken," I explained to him.

"You have a unique way of looking at things."

"When you face death, you make the best out of everything. The problem is most people dwell on the negative and assume the worst of someone because they think by doing so, it will make them better. It's foolish and childish to do so," I sighed.

"I guess when someone tells you that you're a terrible person over the years, you start to believe it," he sighed.

"Zane it takes years to build up someone but it can take matter of minutes to tear them down. People are good and trying to destroy someone because they have nothing better to do with their time," I told him.

He reached over and slid his hand into mine, interlacing our fingers.

"Do you forgive me for being a putz," he asked.