Chapter Fourteen

During lunch, we met up at the cafeteria. The boys, Ossey, Hailey and her little friends along with my public enemy number one Perri Ryan. I sat next to Blade while Perri sat across from me and we stared each other down silently as everyone else was consumed in conversation chatting and laughing. Twice Blade had squeezed my side gently and twice I gave him a factitious smile then went right back to sending Perri deadly glares. She ate her pudding cup with a massive grin running the spoon on her tongue teasingly. After a while I pretended she wasn't there, sitting across me and ate my fries and apple tart before joining in on the conversation. I could feel Perri's glare on me but I didn't pay her any mind.

After lunch we had Math. Ossey and I shared that class. The new teacher was a tall stocky man with a thick coarse beard. He'd introduced himself as Dr Ezra Kimbel P.H.D, a Research Scientist and Mathematician, whose mission was to make Mathematicians and Research Scientists out of us.

His first words after he'd introduced himself, 'Math is beautiful, it is sweeter than the sweetest kiss, better than the most tender touch and will bring each and every one of you the joy and satisfaction your life desires' were enough to dislike him.

There was nothing nice to say about Math except that it is a giant pain in the ass. The only reason I was stuck doing it was because I still didn't know what career path I actually wanted to pursue. I'd been seriously contemplating photography since Emmett suggested it but I was still uncertain.

The day passed so slowly, I was tired and groggy after the two-hour math class. I frowned in annoyance at the fact that I could have skipped school but I didn't. In the second hour of the class, I asked to be excused and left. I didn't return instead I roamed the school with my satchel and waited at the bottom of the staircase for Ossey.

He didn't complain when he saw me, he surprisingly just seemed happy to be back at school. Not that I expected anything better from him.

"Are you coming with us to grab something to celebrate another year of hell?" I ask Ossey as we left.

"Sorry Cece I can't, training starts again today, Coach's order," he murmurs in his thick accent.

"When's the first match?" I question with a shrug to quell my disappointment.

"Next Friday we'll face our first competitor Dork Castle," he laughs.

"I guess I should get my pompoms and cheer uniform ready then uh?" I ask.

He chuckled.

"You might as well, Savannah's looking for a replacement for some girl that switched schools," he reveals.

I snickered.

"I'd love to cheer for you Ossey but I was born with zero rhythm."

He chuckled again as we exited the main building. His friends were waiting on him near the parking lot and we walked towards them. They said their hello's and I greeted them back then Ossey turned to me.

"I'll catch you later," he says.

"See ya," I say heading to the Beetle.

When I got to the Beetle, I spot Perri resting on her motorcycle clad in black and cleaning her fingernails. She snorted when I turned to open the door.

"Nice car!" She calls mockingly, "isn't that what every stupid little twelve-year-old dream of...to drive that ugly little thing."

I ignored her as I opened the door.

"What?" She calls with a snort, "Cat got your tongue?"

I turned stiffly to face her.

"Begging for attention I see," I comment and she gave a laugh of derision.