Chapter Four

After a day of frowning, Bob returned in the late afternoon and I finally got the escape I was searching for. He looked happy, to say the least. I was happy too, happy I could finally leave. I got in the beetle and made for home. I didn't bother with music, instead enjoyed the sheer serenity of silence. A couple of minutes later I pulled into the driveway of the house. As far as I could tell the house looked empty, there were no signs of Victor or Helen and the best part ever was that Adam still had not returned from whatever hell hole he'd gone off to these past few months. I exited the car and walked to the house and entered. Nothing but silence met my ear and I made my way almost bouncing on the balls of my feet to the kitchen. Helen had cooked a massive feast for her pregnancy announcement and loads of leftover was still in the refrigerator. I shared for myself some shrimp and chicken and mashed potatoes and set it in the microwave oven for some minutes, then once it was warm enough to my liking, I poured myself some juice and enjoyed the meal alone sitting at the island. The food tasted even better now than it did the day before and I savoured every bite. I was so lazy and exhausted I fell asleep at the island with the cup in my hand. I don't know how long I slept for but it must have been for a long while because I didn't fall awake until Victor came home and shook me.

I jumped up from shock with my heart hammering in my chest.

"Were you sleeping Secret?"

"No I was conducting a religious ritual," I reply sarcastically rubbing my eyes.

Victor frowned and narrowed his eyes slightly before he set off around the kitchen loudly.

"If you're exhausted then you should go up to your room and sleep," he calls over his shoulder.

"What time is it?" I ask as I got up from the seat and took up the empty plate and cup.

"6:50," he replies.

I set them in the dishwasher trying to stay awake.

"Is Helen home?"

"Not yet," he replies, "I'm just dropping by for food I'll have to do a few extra hours tonight."

"Take your time, the villains haven't come out yet, the city is still safe," I quip and I heard him snicker.

With that, I took my leave of the kitchen and retired to my room. Apart of me wanted to hop into bed and sleep but I felt too sticky to not take a shower. In an intoxicated manner I staggered almost to the bathroom and stripped lazily out of my clothes and stepped into the shower. The first spray of cold water woke me up and my eyes opened wide as my body began to shiver. I needed that. I let the water run over my face and body before I got soapy and scrubbed the dirt and sweat from my body. The shower didn't last long and I soon got out and dried and wrapped myself like a burrito in a towel. I pulled on a baggy pair of shorts and shirt and fell like a sack of potato too lazy to even lie on the bed properly. I drifted in and out of sleep for a while. The doorbell downstairs rang and I hoped Victor was still here to get the door since I wouldn't get out of bed. I laid still listening and I heard the door open then voices began speaking barely loud enough for me to hear. After a few seconds, I heard the sound of the door closing and then there was movement downstairs. I must have drifted off for a second because I didn't even hear the footsteps climbing the stair. My eyes snapped open at the sound of knocking on my bedroom door before the door creaked open and someone entered.

For a second I thought it was Helen but considering the person had rung the doorbell I highly doubted that. Footsteps crossed the room and the person sat on the bed with a smile perched on his face as I stared back at him from lazy eyes.

"What are you doing?" Blade asks.

"Being lazy," I mumble and he gave a soft chuckle before getting to his feet and lifting me up and setting me down in the middle of the bed.