Chapter 4

I sit by my dining room table after just getting back from the roof top.

As i think about all of the things i could have done to stop Bucky and capturing him by using my powers i realize that i will not do that, at least not yet.

My heart is heavy with the thought of being so close to getting Bucky that i just sit still for so long, maybe hours, not like i'm actually looking at the clock.

But as i see the sun coming up i decide to get of my ass, and help Steve find Bucky, even though he won't know it.

I pack my bags and leave my apartment behind, thinking this whole apartment building was no longer safe.

The only places i could ever crash while on my new mission/project was Hailey, but Sofie would be in danger so i thought of the next place and immediately got an idea about a friend i met a few weeks ago.

*

I walk up towards the front door, hitching my backpack full of stuff higher on my shoulder.

As i knock i start to regret coming here, since i didn't really know this friend that well, but he seemed nice enough to lend me a couch, and i promised him he could one day drive my car that i was deathly afraid of crashing or scratching.

As Sam Wilson opens the door i put a smile on my face, trying to act as innocent as possible.

"Do you have your car with you?" He asks making me laugh and nod.

"Yes i do, why are you so obsessed with it anyway?" I wonder, stepping inside.

"Because i like it, stop questioning me." he said pointing an accusing finger at me.

"Can i crash here for awhile?" I blurt out, not wanting to beat around the bush.

"Yeah, of course you can, why? What happened?" He asked, his smile disappearing from his face.

"Nothing, everything is fine, i just can't stay at my place." I try to explain without giving away to much.

He nods and leads me to a guest room, making me happy i don't have to sleep on the couch.

After a few minutes of unpacking i decide to head out, going to find Steve.

I say goodbye to Sam and get in my car, driving towards the hospital thinking that's where they are.

After walking down the halls for minutes without any luck i suddenly spot a familiar redhead buying gum from a wending machine and i walk backwards trying to hide behind the wall without making any noise, but she must have great senses because she snapped her gaze towards me, her eyes widening when she sees me.

"Alex?" She asks, her mouth full of gum.

"No." I answer, still backing away.

"Yes." She says, feeding more money to the machine, this time it isn't gum that she gets, but the memory stick i saw Nick give to Steve.

"Hi Natasha." I sheepishly smile, finally stopping and waiting for her to do something.

"I have so many questions." She whisper yells as she stands in front of me.

"Don't ask them." I warn, trying to sound as nice as possible.

She nods, looking like she understands and then she drags me to a room and tells me to wait there.

I have no idea how much time has gone by when Steve pushes Nat inside the room, making me yelp in surprise.

He takes of his hood, clearly trying to hide from someone when he was outside.

Since he hasn't seen me yet i stay in the shadows, waiting for them to finish talking.

"Where is it?" He demands.

"Safe." She answers

"You better."

"Where did you get it?" Nat wonders

"Why would i tell you?" Steve backfires, looking mad and irritated.

"Fury gave it to you. Why?"

"What's on it?"

"I don't know."

"Stop lying." Steve says, getting angrier by the second.

"I only act like i know everything Rogers."

"But you knew Fury hired the pirates didn't you?" Steve asks after looking behind him to make sure no one was there.

"Well it makes sense, the ship was dirty, Fury needed a way in so do you." Nat doesn't get to finish when Steve interrupts her and tightens his grip on her arms.

"I'm not gonna ask you again."

"Jesus christ can you two chill the fuck out, you are giving me a migraine." I complain stepping in to the light, tired of their bickering.

"What are you doing here?" Steve raises his voice but looks around again realizing he doesn't want anyone knowing he is there.

"I want to help." I say, a smile on my face.

"I don't trust you." Steve says back.

"I do." Nat interjects, looking at Steve.

"Why?" Steve wonders, looking back to Nat.

"Long story i'll tell you some other time." I tell him, patting him on the shoulder earning me a glare.

"I know who killed Fury." Nat blurts out, making my palms sweaty.

"Most of the intelligence community don't believe he exists, the ones that do call him the." She starts.

"Winter soldier." I interrupt.

"You know?" She looks at me, furrowing her eyebrows.

"I was there." I say.

She looks back to Steve, memories flashing in her mind.

"He's credited with over two dozen assassinations in the last fifty years." She finishes, looking dead serious.

"So he's a ghost story." Steve answers, not believing a word.

I start to feel sad for him, since he has no idea the winter solider is actually his best friend.

"Five years ago i was escorting a nuclear engineer out of Iran, somebody shot at my tires near Odessa, we lost control, went straight over a cliff, i pulled us out, but the winter soldier was there, i was covering my engineer so he shot him, straight through me, soviet slug, no riffling, bye bye bikinis. I would have died if Alex here didn't find me, she brought me to a hospital." She tells the story of what happened when we met, making me look down to the floor.

"Yeah i bet you look terrible in them now." I hear Steve say, making me let out a small giggle.

"Going after him is a dead end, i know i've tried." Nat explains. saying what i so desperately wanted to say.

"Like you said he's a ghost story." She says, holding up the memory stick and Steve taking it.

"then let's find out what the ghost wants." He says, looking determined.

With communication, not violence,

I wanted to say, but decided against it.