Chapter IX - Trapped

(the chap is unedited so don't judge)

Zuko snapped his eyes open. The blinding light of a lamp fell on his face. He blinked a couple of times, adjusting to the brightness. He was tied up to a chair. He tried to break free, but the ties wouldn't allow him too. He felt a wave of an incredible exhaustion wash over him and he laid his head back on the chair.

He slipped his eyes at his hands. He had small tubes at his arms drawing blood from his veins. He looked around him and he spotted Mai. She was doing something in one of those devices and she turned and looked at him.

"Remarkable that you're still alive," Mai said sitting on the chair beside him with a notebook at her hands and a pencil. "All the other benders passed away after ten minutes,"

"You're drawing my chi," Zuko said weakly.

"You're smarter than you look," Mai said sarcastically.

He focused his gaze on her. She hadn't changed one bit. But he couldn't understand what had they done to her.

"Why are you doing this, Mai?" Zuko asked.

She took her attention away from the notebook as if the sound of her name triggered something. She tried to ignore it, turning her gaze back at the notebook and she continued writing "Who's Mai?" she asked.

"Someone who loved me," Zuko said.

"Strange. I never thought anybody would love you," Mai said as she turned back to the devices pressing buttons and keeping notes.

You're wrong. Zuko thought and he smirked thinking of Iris. The woman he'd always love. The woman that will always be his.

"Am I?" Mai asked and she turned her head giving him a look as if she had heard his thought.

He looked at her in confusion. Why would she say that? "What do you mean?" Zuko asked.

"That's always been the question, right? Is she truly yours?" Mai said and she turned back at the devices.

"Who are you talking about?"

"Your wife. Zuko, you are anything but naïve," Mai said letting thousands of thoughts burst into his mind. But she didn't give him time "Let's see if you survive this," she said pressing a button.

Intense pain, spread all over his body, making him leave a strong shout that echoed through the entire building...

~(>)~(O)~(>)~(<0>)~(<)~(O)~(<)~

Iris prevented herself from falling wrapping her hands at the walls of the hallway. She recognized that pain that spread at her chest. Zuko. He was in danger. It drove her crazy not knowing where he was. Was he okay? It made life insufferable not being there with them take care of them like she always did.

She caressed her belly. Papa will be okay, promise. She sighed and she continued walking down to the Library where she'd meet her guest.

But it wasn't just June, it was Azula and Koh there too.

"What are you guys doing here?" Iris asked resting her hands on her hips.

"I heard my father is out. Since you're barefoot and pregnant and useless, I'll kick his ass for you," Azula said crossing her arms. "June offered to give us a ride,"

Iris turned her gaze at the human form of Koh.

"Hello, brother," Koh said.

Iris rolled her eyes "When will you stop that 'brother' thing? I killed your brother. He's gone,"