Chapter V - A Rough Day

"Aang, calm down-" Katara said crossing her hands while Aang paced around on the saddle while they flew on Appa towards Yu Dao's police station.

"She's my sister, I get it, and I love her, and I respect her opinion, but sometimes-!" Aang tried to say angrily but Toph cut him.

"Sometimes she gets on your nerves so much you feel like a twisted tree trunk," Toph added.

"Exactly!" Aang said and he rubbed his forehead with his hand. "I've said so many times, don't kill! Killing people, bad thing, using other methods, good thing!"

"Okay, okay, we get it. But the guy seemed way more evil than any other victim of Iris's past. I mean, June mentioned that he killed everybody in her tavern just to get to her," Sokka said.

"Agreed, if we'd set him free, worse things could have happened," Toph said.

"But look what happens now. Talia will be trialed and punished for something that wasn't even her fault," Katara said.

"It was her fault, she did kill that man," Aang insisted.

"Would you rather set him free back in the streets and let him take out whoever he might've wanted!?" Katara asked frustratingly.

"No! But we could use other ways to prevent that!" Aang shot back at her.

"Not everybody is like you, Aang! You have no idea what these women got through that even killing for them seems normal. One of them is your sister. When Iris and I worked together under the Red Shadow Demons I learned everything about what had happened. You can't even imagine how many scars she-" Sokka cut himself before he said anything more.

He'd seen all of Iris's scars in each part of her body. Even the memory made his heart ache. Aang couldn't even imagine what Iris had been through.

Toph raised an eyebrow. How the hell did Sokka know about Iris's scars?

When they landed right outside the Police Station, Iris was already there waiting for them. She had crossed her arms and she was resting her back on the column the same way she had let her staff. Her gaze was focused on the floor.

"Let's go," Katara said as they all jumped from the saddle and they started walking inside with Iris following from behind.

Toph wrapped Sokka and they stayed behind everyone so they couldn't hear them. The others entered the Police Station and she kept him outside.

"There's something you're not telling me," Toph said.

"No there isn't. What gave you that idea?" Sokka asked.

"We both know that you're lying," Toph said, "How the hell did you see all these scars on Iris's body?"

"That's none of your business, Toph," Sokka said and he tried to walk away from her, but she wrapped his hand and kept him there.

"None of my business?! You're my friend!" Toph exclaimed.

Sokka sighed "You're right, I hide something. It's best if it stays that way," and he tried to walk away but Toph kept him there.

"Two people, running away from their true identities and lives, staying away from everything they knew, for a long time... in a world surrounded by danger and enemies, having nothing but each other. Those two people do not remain friends-" Toph tried to say and he cut her.

"Fine! Maybe you're right! Maybe for some time, we were something more than that. It's over now. For the sakes of our lives, it is best that we act as if those months never happened-" Sokka burst out.