Chapter 44. A mother's love

Start from the beginning

"Cam'on bubba!" Cameron says before squealing in excitement.

A savage little growl can be heard and I look at Kali in surprise, she is peering at Cameron from under Rosy's chin with teeth bared.

"You and Kali can play with the bubbas when they get a bit bigger," Rosy says soothingly. Kali leans back and looks up at her mother, she reaches up with her little hands grasping Rosy's face between them to direct her mothers gaze to her own.

"Dem's Kali bubbas! No Cam'on!" Kali informs her mother seriously. Rosy clears her throat noisily at Kali's words and after a slight hesitation Kali folds her arms against her chest and settles back into place with her head beneath Rosy's chin.

I smile to myself at the understanding and bond that has formed between Rosy and Kali, Kali instantly obeys her mother without resistance yet Kali still tries to defy my authority at times. I turn my attention back to those subtly moving so everyone gets a turn at looking at our young kitts. No one comes too close and I find myself laughing softly and shaking my head as Donny wriggles the fingers on his left hand in a wave at Layla.

"Shall we go now?" Rosy asks quietly.

Rosy

I step out of the van and pause a moment to turn into the breeze coming off my mountain ignoring everyone who is gathered to welcome us to The Homestead. The breeze caresses my warm face, it's touch cooling as I close my eyes and enjoy the kiss of the air against my skin. I can hear the voices of the mountain whispering in my mind, this land, my land, is greeting its new inhabitants.

"Mum, mum, mum,"

I open my eyes and glance towards the van at the persistent calls of my children. Terry is stepping out onto the ground, I can't help noticing the way he now moves as if he'd never had his amputated arm in the first place. Dacey is helping a sleep dazed Wynn from his seatbelt and I feel a proud smile creeping onto my face as I watch my three oldest children. I glance at Kali in her childseat to find her waiting silently and patiently, she sees me watching her and smiles showing off her white teeth. Micah is already working on getting Layla out of the van as I step in to let Kali out. I can feel her body trembling and I am not surprised when I see the way she turns her head towards Mount Warning.

"Hey! Hey! Me Kali!"

I watch her eyes go wide and she turns her face towards me, her mouth opened in a startled circle.

"Kalika," Sasha says softly. She is looking towards the mountain and I know she heard the voices of the land, can hear them still.

"Shall we get everyone inside for the moment?" Micah asks.

I glance his way, he has a baby capsule in each hand while Steven and Sam are carrying the collection of diaper bags we need at present. I see Kia step close to peer in at first one kitt then the other, Micah gives a warning growl causing Kia to bare her teeth in a parody of a smile. She glances at me and her smile becomes genuine.

"Them be getting' plenty milk, plenty fat," Kia says approvingly. She glances at Kali who has tucked herself in under my chin, a flicker of some emotion flashes in her eyes but is gone almost before I see it. A smile curves her lips upwards and she meets my eyes before taking in Kali once again.

"Is all good now," Kia announces and looks towards Lydia, Sasha and Malcolm.

"Let's get everyone inside," Lydia says as she turns towards the front steps. "The kettle's not long boiled and I have a fresh batch of Anzac biscuits not long out of the oven,"

I follow Micah up the steps and into the cool interior of the homestead, sunlight streams in through windows illuminating the hallway of the building I had called home for a short time. I smile to myself as I watch Sasha move to where she can peer at the kitts Micah is carrying, there is a hard to decipher look on her face for a few seconds before she turns her head and I no longer can see her face.