My concentration was still on the ferocious expression of the man towering over us.

"Let's go," Siya muttered.

"Don't walk away when I'm talking!" He snarled and I tried to subtly fall in step with Siya.

We were going to direct our feet towards our home when his words hit us.

"I'll throw acid on your face!"

We stilled automatically and Siya whipped her head back at unbelievable speed.

"You miserable worm! That's all the respect you had for me. Good I got to know at least now!"

I tugged at Siya's arm firmly, forcing her to follow me.

"You're absolutely--"

"Siya. Please," I wanted to clutch at her feet and beg or just drag her into the safe haven of our colony apartments.

Given our galli was usually a tad deserted most of the time, the possible repercussions of that statement brought chills down my spine.

The few onlookers fell into silence but did not dare protest the abhorrent disrespect in that statement. And I knew they wouldn't.

I simply held her hand firmly and pulled her back with me, while the man casually walked into his hostel with one last glance as if he hadn't bluntly threatened her a moment ago.

I attempted to console Siya, but she'd locked herself in her room and refused to come out.

I sighed and tapped my knuckles on the frame one last time, "Are you okay?"

"I am! Just leave me alone!" Her words came out muffled.

I let her have her space and went to freshen myself in my parents' conjoining bedroom.

Siya had washed up and appeared deceivingly normal over dinner. I tried to make light conversation through the clutter of stainless steel vessels until my mother told me to shut up and concentrate on the food on my plate.

Only when our parents retired to the bedroom, could I approach her.
The lights to the bedroom were switched off and she was sitting by the window sill.

"Don't switch on the light," Siya said when I was going to. She motioned for me to come closer and pulled me down with her. I imitated her hunched posture.

"What?"

"Do you see that? Him? He called me thrice and now he's staring at our window."

"Yes, a major inconvenience. He knows where we live."

"Do you think he will..."

She trailed off and I'd never seen this emotion on my sister's face. She was always brazen and straightforward. And now worry lines were creasing her forehead.

Those words continued to haunt me even when I left for school and Siya for college. All through the day, my mind was conjuring the worst possible scenarios. And when I reached home, I was literally racing towards the gate.

When I was going to take a turn towards the block, I spied a few boys on the cement benches. My eyes immediately scanned through them.

Kabir's lips paused in mid-movement and was watching me silently. As did his zillion other friends.

I waved at him. I usually curtailed attracting attention around his friends except for that instance.

His expression morphed into blank surprise and he slid down from his spot.
I waited, feet cemented at my place while he started towards me in his noisy platform shoes.