Ease (Fluff)

When you hear the front door open, it takes everything in you not to hurdle your blanketed cocoon self off the couch and into the foyer right away. You wait until you hear the jingle of Niall's keys land on the hallway table before you pick yourself up, blanket wrapped around your shoulders as you pad your way towards him and leave the tv flickering on a low volume in the living room.

Niall smiles at you when he sees you appear in the hallway. He's got his one arm propped against the wall balancing his weight as he tries to get his shoe off. "Hi, baby. Ya look cozy," he says, blue eyes bright and wide as he takes in your ruffled pjs under the makeshift blanket tent.

You give him a sheepish smile, convincing yourself to wait until he's at least got his shoes off. But your eyes are stinging from the earlier tears and when Niall doesn't hear a response from you he takes a closer look and straightens up, his brows furrowing together, "Love? What's wrong?"

And that's all it takes for you to close the distance and burrow into his chest, hiding your face in his neck with a pathetic sniffle. There's no real explanation as to why you're upset. It was just one of those days, one thing after another had set you off and made your heart heavier in your chest. And all you wanted was to be held in the comfort of your boyfriend's arms. Niall exuded the very essence of comfort. From his deep accented voice to his engulfing bear hugs, he was the best cure for a bad day. (And he was pretty great all the other days too.)

He just made things better. He made you feel at ease.

"Hey...hey, c'mere..." he mumbles, rubbing your back through the blanket before slinking it under. The blanket drops to the floor with a quiet humph but neither of you make a move to pick it up. "Sh... it's okay, love."

Niall presses his lips to the side of your head and holds you tight, one shoe on and still in the brown jacket he has on over his pale yellow On The Loose hoodie. He cups the back of your head and rubs at your head, trailing fingers through the strands and repeating the move every time he reaches the ends.

Eventually you let out one last sniffle before pushing your forehead against his collarbone and pulling back a little to tilt your head up at him. He cups one of your cheeks in his hand and his eyes scan your face inquisitively, "What's wrong, my love?"

"I just had a bad day," you murmur, blinking at him as he wipes at the tear tracks coating your cheeks. "Sorry, I didn't mean to ambush you the moment you walked in. I just missed you today."

"Don't be sorry," Niall says sternly, shaking his head at you. He sighs and presses his lips softly to your forehead, You lean into it and he drops his hands down to your waist. "Do you wanna talk about it, love?"

You shake your head slowly and he murmurs a soft "okay' before gently puckering his lips against your forehead again. "That's okay. Wanna cuddle on the couch?"

You nod and he moves away after a few more moments. He reaches down and kicks his other shoe off before picking the blanket up and shaking it for a moment.

He offers you a gentle smile and lifts it, wrapping it around you before he tucks his arm around you and leads you to the couch. He plops down and then brings you next to him, letting you hide your face in his neck again. He practically pulls you into his lap. His calloused, but gentle to you finger tips trace soothing patterns into your skin at the bottom of your spine after he pushes the fabric of your shirt up.

It's not long before you're feeling better. You tilt your head up at him and he looks down at you with fond, but still concerned eyes. "Better?"

You nod and cup his stubble, rubbing your fingers against it, "Yeah. Thanks, baby."

Niall grabs your hand and brings it to his mouth, pressing fluttering kisses to your palm and up your wrist before he lays it against his heart. "Anytime, angel. Ya know you can talk to me, right? No matter what it is. M'here for ya, always."

"I know," you whisper, lifting your gaze to meet his. "I love you, Ni."

"I love you too, angel," Niall says. He presses a kiss to your forehead, then drops one on your nose, and finally your lips.

And just like that, everything that had happened that day seemed to melt away. Niall reaches for the remote and keeps you tucked against him, and there's nowhere else in the world you'd rather be.