part 4

Little did you realise that after that night that he attacked you, you were much worse off than simply back at square one.

He didn’t do anything. It was like he was locked inside himself. He’d make no acknowledgement of his brother when he healed him, of the Winchester’s when they tried to tease him or of you when you sat beside him.

You never left him though, for weeks you’d sit just talking to him. You’d be close to tears as you retold all of your memories together over and over, hoping that one of them would spark some kind of response.

But you never did, you began reading to him, humming songs the two of you had danced to in the middle of the night all those years ago. But nothing ever worked, it was like you’d lost him all over again.

He was right here in front  of you, you could reach out and touch him but he wasn’t there. Maybe your Gabe was gone for good.

You even found yourself praying to Chuck sometimes, not that it helped you doubt he’d listen either way but you so wanted to help your angel.

Days turned into weeks and the boys would come and go on cases, you felt guilty for not helping them but you couldn’t leave him. Your heart wouldn’t let you. Cas was always near by, just a prayer away.

You were bored one day and began singing a song to yourself while you folded some laundry. An old country song you’d heard years ago that had felt very poignant lately. You looked over at the angel lying with his back to you.

“Not a day goes by that I don't think of you

After all this time you're still with me it's true

Somehow you remain locked so deep inside

Baby, baby, oh baby, not a day goes by”

You ran your fingers through Gabe’s hair as you sang the last line, a stray tear falling from your left eye. You wiped it away quickly, gathering you clean clothes and moving to put them away in your room across the hall.

Little did you know that when you sang, tears filled the archangels eyes; and that when your tear fell, so did his.

It was a week later that you got a call from a hunter friend of yours looking for someone to take on a vamp nest a few towns away. He had a haunting to take care of and could manage both. The nest was growing and was targeting young girls. You sighed deeply knowing you couldn’t leave it.

You packed your bags whilst explaining to Cas where you’d be and how long you’d be gone. He begged you not to go, that you weren’t ready and to wait for Sam and Dean. You knew he was right, you'd been out of the game for months but that would cost more lives and your conscious wouldn’t allow it.

You walked back to Gabe when you were ready, not wanting to leave him but having no other choice.

“Gabriel? Can you hear me?” his eyes were open but he didn’t move. You sighed deeply.

You’d hoped by now that he would have shown some improvement. Cas was healing him when he could and his own grace was building but he was still like a zombie. You fight back the tears and force the lump in your throat away.

“I have to go on a hunt, I wont be gone long. Just a vamp nest a few towns over, but the boys are out of state so it’s just me to handle it” you kneeled next to his bed in his eye line.

“Cas will be here with you. I’ll be back as soon as I can ok?” you smiled at him but his eyes looked straight through you. you sighed in defeat and stood to face his brother.

“I won’t be long”

“Please take care Y/n, I will watch over him” you nodded and squeezed your friends arm as you left the room, grabbing you bag and heading out on your first hunt in months.