A small female pixie with light blue hair sat on her shoulder. When she saw Jai was sitting up, she jumped up, tugged on Alyvia's ear, and pointed excitedly at him.

"I know, I know. He's up," Alyvia told the pixie. "Do you want to go introduce yourself now that he's actually conscious?"

The pixie nodded furiously and flew to Jai's hand, which he had outstretched for her to land on. She was looking up at him shyly, smiling as she curtsied in her silver dress.

"This is Posy," Alyvia introduced, sitting in the chair that had yet to move from the same spot it had been in. "She's had a fun time trying to wake you up these last two weeks."

Jai couldn't help but smile at the pixie. He'd missed having one around after Jett had left with Gideon. "It is very nice to meet you, Posy."

The pixie grinned, hovered in front of his face, and kissed his nose before flying back to Alyvia's shoulder.

Alyvia handed him the bowl then, which he took gratefully...before devouring its contents a little too quickly. He knew he would regret it as soon as the oats hit his hollow stomach, but it quickly passed. Alyvia watched every spoonful that disappeared until it was gone.

"Are you feeling all right?" she asked as he set the empty bowl on the table beside them.

He nodded, the fog that surrounded his mind finally clearing as he looked up at her. "I do. The dizziness is gone."

"And what about in general?"

Jai sat up straighter, feeling his muscles stretch and pull, but it didn't hurt. If anything, it relaxed him even more. As for his magic, it was just as it had been before the attack. He wasn't going to push himself to use it much just yet, especially since he knew how close he was to being drained of it.

"I feel fine."

Alyvia nodded, leaning forward as Posy grabbed onto her ear to keep balanced, and grabbed his hand. She placed two fingers on his wrist, checking his pulse, which she found out was rapid after just a few moments of monitoring it. She glanced up and met his eyes but didn't say anything about it.

He wasn't looking at her face then, but at her left hand...and, more specifically, the ring that was on her finger. Gods, she never took it off, did she? Seeing it was like that dagger was being plunged into his side again. She'd had a future and his actions – or inactions, actually – completely destroyed it.

"I want to keep you in the infirmary for a few more days before letting you go," she told him, not noticing his preoccupation. Or, at least, not commenting on it. "It's just to make sure everything is good now that you are awake. We'll work on getting your strength back up by walking around this morning. You might tire out quickly, but that's all right. I know a place where you can rest and someone can show you a few things he's learned."

Jai was confused at first...but then immediately realized who she was talking about. "Eamon."

He watched as that beautiful smile stretched across her face. "Yes, Eamon. I think he's still asleep, but he will be up in a little while. He usually trains with Vandor in the mornings since Lady Roesia's away. Surprising him would make his day."

"I've missed him. I've missed all of them."

"I don't think I have to tell you how much your family has missed you, too."

***

Word must have gotten out about how Jai had finally woken up in the night. How could it have not when the king and queen rushed through the palace to get to the infirmary with Vandor? As he walked with Alyvia and Posy, everyone greeted him with smiles and even some hugs from those he'd known since childhood. They didn't realize just how much of a task just walking around was for him.