Chapter 10

Chapter 10

It was almost three weeks after they arrived in Dalcaine that Lyv received the first message from her mother by raven. She'd had enough nerve to even put the wax seal of Escarral on it, an intricate E with vines and flowers woven beneath it in navy blue wax. Had it been intercepted, there would have been a search for its recipient throughout the city.

As she read it on the sofa in the apartment, Posy sat in her lap. And even though she couldn't read, the pixie leaned toward the parchment, tracing the lettering with her finger.

Lyv immediately recognized her mother's elegant script. So pretty for a threat.

Daughter,

I trust you have arrived in the Fae lands. I have been told the crown prince is away, but I trust you know what to do. Weave your way into the royal family no matter what.

Do not touch Vandor. Or the other prince.

I will know if you do.

All my love,

Mother

Gods, did she want to tell her mother off. More than that. She wanted to get rid of her permanently.

But instead, she wrote back, knowing she would send another had she not. Short and sweet...with just a little bit of sass.

Mother,

The crown prince will be away for a few more weeks. I know you trust me to know what to do.

Vandor says hello.

Your daughter

That same morning, another message came. This time, instead of the seal of Escarral, it was from Oria, from her sister Sora.

Lyv,

I hope this message finds you well. We have heard where Mother sent you. Father told us everything.

He arrived just a week ago. I would have written to you sooner, but there were some complications at the border. Let us just say that Mother had a few less men at her command now.

But Father is well. You have no idea how good it was to see him after hearing what happened during the siege. He told us of a friend who healed him but didn't give a name. We have an idea that it wasn't someone from Escarral. And Jett...well, seeing a pixie for the first time was magical in and of itself. He is well, too, and the children already adore him.

Father will write as soon as he is rested. The journey north has taken a toll on him.

All my love and so much more,

Your sister, Sora

Lyv breathed out a sigh of relief at the news of her father's safety. Posy, seeing the tension ease from her, turned and looked up with wide eyes.

"Everything is all right," Lyv told her with a smile. "My father...he was hurt really bad last year and has been in hiding. But he left and went to my sister and her family for safety."