Chapter 18

{Their minds were wrong but their eyes saw right—}

~~~

Jimin didn't know how to feel when he found out that Jungkook lived in the same neighborhood as him; more specifically it was his mother that lived there.

"How come we never met?" Jimin asked the taller boy. Jungkook looks down at Jimin and shrugged, "I don't come here that often."

"Why?" Jimin narrowed his eyes. Jungkook's eyes fluttered nervously and he dismissed the topic, asking, "Do you wanna come in?"

Jimin and Jungkook currently stood in front of Jungkook's mother's house. Jimin's house was quite a few blocks away from here but it wasn't too far. After Jimin had advised Jinyoung to not come to the station, he took a taxi with Jungkook to their neighborhood.

"No," Jimin shook his head, "Jinyoung is probably waiting for me. I'll be staying over at his home over the weekends."

Jungkook frowned deeply at the information and his stomachs twisted uncomfortably. He didn't like the thought of Jimin staying over at Jinyoung's. He had seen the other boy's pictures in Jimin's instagram profile and Jungkook hated the fact that Jinyoung was his rival in terms of beauty.

"Just a cup of water," Jungkook said, his mouth ran dry and his voice seemed to be cracking. His words were bitterly coated. Jimin squinted his eyes at the boy to see if he was tired. The train ride must've been hard on him after the dance practice.

"Sure," Jimin replied, his voice soft. Jungkook felt his heart lighten but tried not to show any signs of excitement. Jimin followed as Jungkook rang the bell to the door to his mother's house.

Jimin could hear the mechanical buzz of the bell and after Jungkook had knocked thrice. He heard a melodious voice say: "Just a moment!"

Both the boys waited a few seconds before the door opened to reveal a woman. One of Jimin's first thoughts included: how beautiful. The woman was probably in her late thirties or early forties. She wore an apron which covered her floral dressing. Jimin could indeed agree that she had passed on her beautiful looks to Jungkook.

"J-Jungkook?" The woman's voice broke. Her eyes seemed to turn glassy with water. Jimin knew that she hadn't noticed him yet. All of the sudden Jungkook's hand slipped into Jimin's and the boy sucked in a deep breath before smiling and saying, "Mom."

"What are you doing here again!?" The tell of the woman was loud but it was pleading desperately. Jimin tried his best not to wince when he felt Jungkook's hand tighten around his flesh and bones. Jungkook could feel the bony structure of Jimin's hand.

It was stupid of him to come to Busan on impulse. It was stupid of him to invite Jimin to his house but he knew that he couldn't have faced his mother alone.

The woman spoke again, "You need to go before someone finds out. If y-your dad finds out—"

Jungkook cut her words, "He won't know. He's in America right now. On a business trip." The woman continued to shake her head, "Sweetheart, are you sure?"

Jungkook loosed his grip on Jimin's hand and nodded. As soon as the nod came, the woman gave her son a crushing hug. Jimin reluctantly let go of Jungkook's hand and Jungkook immediately wrapped his arms around his mother. The woman sobbed softly, "I keep missing you."

Jungkook bit his lower lip. His childhood wasn't an easy one. His father was the CEO of a huge company and his mother was a no-body. After several useless fights and screams, they had agreed to separate on the condition that Jungkook would stay with his father and receive a good life. The only reason his mother agreed to the condition was because she wanted her son to live a happy life. However, Jungkook was to never meet his mother. But he did; he would always go to his mother whenever he could, behind his dad's back.