Confessions

Nozomi paced in the halls back and forth. She couldn't hear any noises behind the door. She peered out the window.

How long has it been now? Twenty or thirty minutes?

She leaned against the windowsill. The sky turned to strokes of pink, yellow, and orange. Dusk time was settling in. She watched the beautiful view. They were probably in one of the tallest buildings. It really captured every shadow, every corner of the city. 

If Keiichi and I lived in an apartment like this, I would be in love every single day!

Nozomi started fantasizing a future of them together. She placed both hands to the side of her cheeks and blushed.  Suddenly, her smiled dropped.

What if... he doesn't choose me? He likes older woman and nothing has really progressed between us. Besides, many of his exes were really beautiful. Even Juncho's sister...

Nozomi slapped her cheeks together.

No! Even if he chooses someone else, I must be happy for him! As long as there is no one yet, I can be the one beside him!

There was a slight click on the door and it opened. Keiichi walked out alone and quietly.

"Keiichi-san!" Nozomi quickly went to his side and smiled. "Are you ok?"

Maybe it was the way that the sun shined behind her, how her eyes glowed teal like an ocean, or how she sticks to him like an adorable puppy. Whatever the case, Keiichi knew that he wanted to be with her forever.

"Hmm? You were still waiting for me?"

"Of course, Keiichi-san!"

Keiichi-san smiled. "You... shouldn't have..."

"It's nothing really-"

"No," he interrupted. His smile had disappeared. There was sharpness in his words. "You shouldn't have." He turned to face her. "Nozomi, don't associate yourself with me anymore. Go home."

"But-"

"Stop!"

The way his voice changed. The way his words stabbed her heart like daggers. She trembled from shock and heart break. Keiichi didn't even give a second glance as he walked away and entered the elevator. As the elevator doors shut, Nozomi watched Keiichi's image disappear.

What went wrong?

********************************
Keiichi hit the elevator doors with the side of his fist moments after it closed.

Nozomi... if you get hurt I would never forgive myself...

Keiichi fell to ground in a squat and buried his head in his arms. It broke his heart to see Nozomi's terrified face as the doors closed.

I probably made her cry again.

Keiichi reached the ground floor and walked straight out the apartment. He looked up to the 24th floor window. He could picture the image of Nozomi staring from above.

She would probably smile and wave with all her might and I... would think that she is the most beautiful... if she was there.

Keiichi looked back at the busy streets around him. He placed his hands in his pockets and continued walking. He continued to think on and on. Before he knew it, he arrived at a park. He sat on a swing and lightly moved back and forth. He could see the little children starting to go home as the sky transitioned to a dark violet. As he sat there wondering if what he did was right, frantic footsteps and uneven breaths filled his ears.