Chapter 37: Boozin' at the Beach

This one is almost twice the length of the last! And yet the plot still only inches further because I'm too self-indulgent in my writing!

The bus ride to the beach was awkward to say the least. Aside from the shrieking teenagers and miscellaneous objects being launched across the seats, I had to endure constant glances from Celeste, who sat in the row across from me. I also had to endure constant glances from Shawn, Las Vegas, Shawn discreetly glowering at Las Vegas, and Matt shouting at Trudy over who was the best Avenger.

"The Hulk has it all! Brains and brawn!" Trudy screamed.

"Yeah! But never at the same time!" Matt contended.

Trent poked his head up from the seat behind me. "I like Batman. He's hot," he added.

"Batman isn't an Avenger, Trent," Celeste said without looking up from her book.

God I loved these idiots. I would give anything to just go back to how it used to be with them-- before Shawn ever stuck his fucking head into my life.

When the ocean came into view, everyone began to lean over each other to get a look. I heard a pair of girls in the seat in front of me ask each other if they thought their bikinis were cute. I frowned; it was the middle of winter! Sure, we were all hormonal teenagers who wanted to see each others' half-naked bodies—but not at the cost of hypothermia.

I felt my new phone begin to vibrate in my pocket. Shawn had given me one that morning before we left. When I asked him just how bugged out it was, he simply responded 'no more than your last phone.' When I opened it and noticed that it had all the contents of my previous phone, I wasn't even surprised. I took it out and pressed accept without even bothering to look at the contact. What the hell did Shawn want now?

"Can this wait?" I asked, speaking over Matt—who began yelling about which Avenger would be the best to bang.

"Hey, can we talk later?" someone (who wasn't Shawn) whispered.

I pulled my phone away from my ear and looked behind me. Las Vegas stared back,  phone against his ear. I blanched and snapped my eyes up to look towards Shawn and met his gaze. His expression was nonchalant enough, but that didn't fool me.

"Nope nope nope nope," I muttered as I pressed end call and shoved the phone back into my pocket. I glanced back towards Shawn, but he had turned away again. I didn't risk looking back at Las Vegas and settled to stare out the window at the grey waves of the ocean.

Looking at the ocean, I thought that maybe a day at the beach didn't sound so bad— not even if I had to spend the whole day making sure Shawn didn't try to drown Las Vegas. Maybe I could even slip away for long enough to get a moment of fucking peace before Shawn lectured me about not being allowed to go anywhere he couldn't see. And even if I couldn't, just being out of town could help me begin to cope with what had happened in the past month or so.

"Alright brats!" A low voice bellowed. The girl's soccer coach stood up and faced the back of the bus, nostrils flaring as he surveyed every student one by one. "The school thought it'd be a good idea to waste taxpayer money on a beach retreat for you sensitive little snowflakes! But I won't allow ANY of you to break school rules. You go anywhere that I can't see, you get put on the bus until we leave!" he shouted, spraying spit onto the rows in front of him. So much for finding a moment of peace.

As the bus pulled into a parking lot by the sand, the coach began to call names out one by one like an army sergeant talking to a platoon of soldiers. I sighed and sunk back into my seat; at least I wouldn't be stuck in my house alone with Shawn all day.