Chapter 27: Digging One's Own Grave.... With a Bulldozer

Again, thank you for your patience and wonderful comments!

Thanks

__________________________________________________________________________

"Fuck." Shawn cursed. "So this won't be as simple as killing the Painter and solving the problem."

"Yeah." I hummed, in the middle of thinking. If someone was behind it- or even if it was just the Painter going solo- the motive was extremely unclear, and possibly the most important aspect of the whole situation. Why was the P.E. teacher the one that was killed? If it was just because he was convenient and could be used to make the gym a gory painting, then it could be a threat towards both Shawn and I. But if he was killed because of how he treated me in P.E., then it could be some sort of tribute to Shawn, threat towards me in particular, a threat towards Shawn involving me, and so on. Fuck... the fact that I was even thinking about murders like this was enough to make me hurl.

"Shawn, have you ever met anyone that could possibly admire you, be in love with you, or hate you that could have done this?" I asked.

"Uh..." Shawn let out a small grimace. "Yeah, a few." He admitted.

"Great." I said sarcastically. "Aren't serial killers supposed to keep their identity a secret?" I asked. First Spike, and now... whoever the fuck this was. Did the whole serial killer community know who Shawn was?!

"Yeah, but sometimes, like with Jade, other killers have found out that I'm a killer because of flukes, and it was too dangerous to kill them to keep them quiet." Shawn explained.

Well fan-fucking-tastic. I rubbed my temple with my free hand. "...Alright, do you know any that would hire a killer to do this?"

Shawn thought a moment. "Maybe- I'm not sure. If they were a skilled killer, they wouldn't bother hiring the Painter in the first place and do it themselves. Also, if they hired the Painter, they might be loaded and have connections... Also, the Painter could just be behind the whole thing too." Shawn then leant back on the couch and sighed in frustration. "Honestly, we just don't have enough information to discern much; this could range from them wanting to kill either of us, kidnap either of us, or protect either of us."

"Well, sooner or later we're bound to find out which it is." I said. "Besides, that message they sent was way too extravagant to be so vague. If they wanted to send you a message, then they'll probably give you another soon." I said gravely. "... I think they like the idea of you scrambling to figure out what it means."

"So, what, I just wait around until they decide to do something else?" Shawn scowled.

I shrugged. "They have the upper hand in terms of identity. They know a lot about us, and we don't know jack shit about them."

Shawn nodded begrudgingly, and then looked at me in concern. "Jake... you're taking all of this this a bit too well; are you alright?" He asked.

"Not really." I sighed. " Obviously, I'm worried as hell about what's going to happen next."

"...Anything that I can do?" Shawn asked uncertainly.

I scoffed. "What do you think? All you usually do other than threaten me is sexually-..." I trailed off. Shawn was just looking out for me at the moment... I guessed I should save my insults for when he deserved it. Which, knowing him, would be pretty fucking soon. "No, thanks for asking." I rephrased with a sigh.

Shawn looked slightly surprised. "Uh... you're welcome." He said, looking at me strangely. "...Why aren't you insulting me?" he asked.

"You don't deserve it this time." I explained.