Chapter Four

Veil of Midnight

True Blood Fanfiction

By Singingfrogs

No copyright infringement intended

Eric knew his ability to keep his emotions hidden was becoming more like a chore than his natural callous way of remaining indifferent; His mind was fogged with various different thoughts and sensations. The careless enthrallment from human customers and the capricious contemplations of his vampire subjects were becoming more infuriating; Irritation washed onto his features as his usual professional manner of dealing with vampire problems and the brash way of communicating with people was not helping to keep his frustration under control.

He knew both Vampire and Werewolf parties were uncomfortable with the affiliation Eric had constructed with a Werewolf Packmaster; many of his associates verbally declaring their disapproval as they forced their ideals onto their Sherriff announcing their dysphoria about being caught up in a rivalry that had spanned centuries of a shared history between the two races. It seemed neither party were able to come to terms with the idea of a truce. However, like every decision there were two sides to the situation and his close companions seemed comforted in the knowledge that they were protected against a werewolf attack if one was to occur. They also seemed to be growing very attached to Robyn.

But, the ancient Vampire was getting bored of explaining his reasoning to bring Robyn into his Vampire nest. He could only detail their agreement so many times and as he sat against his large wooden throne that was positioned to the centre of the stage of Fangtasia he once again prattled to another vampire. He was quickly loosing interest in the monotonous vivacity of the humans and vampires that were crowded into his bar, he could barely pay attention to the vampire who he was conversing with until they grew bored and prowled the crowd for his nights dinner.

He could see the walls lined with framed pictures from across the ages of the various Vampires characters in Hollywood. From Bela Lugosi to George Hamilton and Gary Oldman. The lighting was dim, of course, nothing unusual about that; what was unusual were the clientele and the posted signs.

The bar was full. The human clients were divided among vampire groupies and tourists. The groupies, or Fang-bangers were dressed in their best finery. It ranged from the traditional capes and tuxes for the men to many Morticia Adam's rip-offs amongst the females. The clothes ranged from reproductions of those worn by Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise in Interview with the Vampires to some modern outfits that he thought were influenced by The Hunger. Some of the fang-bangers were wearing false fangs; some had painted trickles of blood from the corners of their mouths or puncture marks on their necks. They were extraordinary, and extraordinarily pathetic.

The tourists looked like tourists anywhere, maybe more adventurous than most. But to enter into the spirit of the bar, they were nearly all dressed in black like the fang-bangers. Maybe it was part of the tour package? Bring some black for your exciting visit to a real vampire bar! Follow the rules and you'll be fine, catching a glimpse of the exotic underworld. Eric couldn't help but smile to himself at the thought.

 As the Viking continued to observe the comings and goings of his customers and subjects he could not help but lift his hand to the simple long chain that was hanging below his pectoral muscles. The fine tailored jacket that he had pressed to his torso creased at the joints of his arm as he gazed at the fascinating heirloom that Robyn had bestowed to him. Hanging with his own Mjolnir was a beautiful, Nordic looking wolf’s head of either Geri or Freki who were the companions of Odin, an Asgardean god of old. The elegant markings and shape of the pendant delighted Eric for it was not just a loving thought on Robyn’s part but it also drew back to his human life.